HybridZ

Camshaft sprocket

caen fred

Question about the standard sprocket:

Could we drill it to the same spec as the 8 holes Kameari?

I have 3 almost new cam sprockets and wonder if I could give them to a machinist with a precise draft to have him drill the extra holes for the advance/retard timing adjustment?

I did this myself, it's not that hard. Best (easiest for me) method I found was turn a plug on the lathe 40mm in diameter and 5mm thick, put in back side of sprocket, lay out a 45* angle on the back and put a witness mark on the sprocket, flip it over and drill through the holes to get the first three holes. Turn 90* and pin with a 6mm dowel, flip over and drill the fourth hole from the back. Using witness mark, remove dowel, turn plug 45*, drill thru the last four holes.

Use a scrap gear so that you are essentially making a template, dowel two of them together (template plus new gear) and drill the 5 holes needed. Piece of cake.

Piece of cake.

Not my average "sponge cake"... :-D

I am trying to figure it, ain't sure yet, but ti's coming :windows:

The good thing is that it can be done. I will check the spec of my cam.

I only should need ONE hole. With your help I might figure out where?

I found one Kameari cheap, great!

But cheap mean it's without any spec. Who knows for sure the spec. of this sprocket? I found everything on the web the most consistent is +9 to -12 in 3° increments. While on the holly book of Datsun Engine Prep it's 2° increments??????????

Where did you find it? Guess it doesn't REALLY matter the increments... If you take a dyno day and set it up for the most power,well then thats what you want, so what if its you know like 4º advance or retarded, its the spot you want. Right?

• 2 weeks later...

?????????????????????????????????????? question :icon44:

Does it really matter to use the "bright link" when only changing the position of the sprocket relative to the cam's dowel. Say from 0 to 1

May I just mark the link where the dowel is and use this mark as my new "bright link" ?????????? Fiddling with this sprocket isn't my idea of fun :redface: I always need 10 minutes to put it back.

BTW do we have to really take the sprocket of the cam? I never checked to see if there is enough space to leave the sprocket on the cam and rotate it? And I am not on the car to have look :icon44: