HybridZ

"M" notation on L-series blocks?

Hey guys,

I was prepping my JDM nissan cedric (2.0L, NAPS, SGLE, k330 pillarless) for long term storage today and noticed an "M30" notation on the drivers side (thats passenger side for you yanks) of the block behind the oil filter. It struck me as notable because it was in very big, bold lettering. It appears to be part of the block cast on an "E30" block, which is visible in the standard position beneath the exaust.

The engine is also fitted with e30 head and u98 webless intake manifold without any NAPS notation that I can see. Simularly the injectors are odd cream-coloured tops as opposed to the greentops I have at home for zx's.

Since all the literature on these vehicles is inaccessable to my uncultured self I was wondering if anyone here might be able to gleen some light these topics, particularly, i'm intrqued by the m30 stamp.

Cheers Gents,

Pete

I've seen pictures of the big M on many later Nissan inline engines. Everything from L20ET sixes to LD20 four cylinder models. I don't believe any of them came here to the states, but they seem commonplace in other markets, at least from what I've been able to gather from thousands of miles away.

I've seen pictures of the big M on many later Nissan inline engines. Everything from L20ET sixes to LD20 four cylinder models. I don't believe any of them came here to the states, but they seem commonplace in other markets, at least from what I've been able to gather from thousands of miles away.

But what does the "M" represent?

I've got an L20ET with the "M" signature as well but this one has the tiny crank journals and rods (think Maxima L24E) and an O5L head on it.

I even had an H190 diff centre with this marking. It was built with a pinion shaft support which I deemed to be some sort of H/D part perhaps? All of the other H190's I've seen don't have this support.

Cheers.

I did a little cruising the net and the only reference I could find is the "M" marking on z24's supposedly means mexican build... it sounds either irrelevant or misinformation though' because why would a 77' JDM car have a mexican-built block?

...probably some racist klan member dennouncing mexican worksmanship if you ask me :windows:

P.s. any more ideas anyone?

M for Magic?

M for Mythical?

M for Mishmorshion, oh wait, wrong movie....

perhaps its to identify the foundry the block was cast at?

Possibly but then why not have that in the block number or elsewhere in a somewhat more subtle fashion... I mean it's bigger and bolder than the block cast number... someone put it on there for a reason?

金属

Very insightful...

Anywho; Anyone else got any idea on this? I can try to get some pictures but I'm a bit flat for time atm and probs wont be able to find my camera for a while.

I'd love to know more about my ceddy's heritage, picked it up for chips along with some JDM spoked wheels still filled with old japo lotto tickets ...teeeheee....

Cheers,

Pete

Here's an example for those that haven't seen one yet.

This is an L20 six pulled from a Kenmeri skyline as seen on yahoo auctions japan. This one is unique in that it has the M on both sides of the block.

KenmeriL20A.jpg

It is cast with an M2, but others I've seen have different notations.

Looking through my hard drive I've spotted:

Solitary M behind dipstick on an S130 turbo block

M1 on LD20 on the intake/exhaust side of the block

Solitary M on intake/exhaust side behind engine mount on a L20ET

M3 same spot behind mount on an L20A E30 block

im sure there is something behind it?

it reminds me of the Lotus Blocks, from the old Elans (and others)

the block for the 2.0L twin cam was based off the ford Kent motor, but was identified from other Kent blocks with a cast 'L' on the right hand side.

Dad tells me that it was allways amusing to see the people who didnt know about that, say that they must have messed up at the foundry, and cast the block back to front, because the 'Left' marking was on the wrong side.

perhaps someone in the japanese early zed scene may know?