HybridZ

procharged 300zx

czecho

hello all my name is Eric and i need a ton of help

i want to procharge my 1990 NA 300zx

im converting it to a track car so everything is gonna go for weight saving.

my question is do i buy TT parts aka pistons for the low compression and such or what

please give me a break down of what i would need from the TT parts and NA parts.

thank you

and also tell me what you guys think of the idea.

hello all my name is Eric and i need a ton of help

i want to procharge my 1990 NA 300zx

im converting it to a track car so everything is gonna go for weight saving.

my question is do i buy TT parts aka pistons for the low compression and such or what

please give me a break down of what i would need from the TT parts and NA parts.

thank you

and also tell me what you guys think of the idea.

Well, first of all I must say you must be prepared to do A LOT of reading, and A LOT of fabricating. There are maybe 3-4 supercharged Z32's. Why? Because it doesn't make a lot of sense to supercharge the Z32 at all. On stock turbos, (especially if you get the automatic turbos) the spool response time on a bolt on, tuned TT is nearly instant. I strongly suggest you reconsider unless you're capable of doing the custom fab work yourself.

As far as shedding some weight, I suggest you take a look at a few threads from 300ZXClub. My friend Miles has a respectively thorough list of what he has shaved on his track car.

Part I & II

http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=141628

Part III

http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=141628

Regarding a supercharged setup, I can point you in the direction of a few that have done it in the past.

Search TwinTurbo.Net for:

Craig Channer ran a Powerdyne unit on his white NA.

Tony Batchelor SC'ed his red NA as well.

Search Zcar.com for:

nd2slodwn

You can keep your NA pistons if you:

1. Run LOW boost. (6-7 lbs tops)

2. Get the Z personally tuned by a competent tuner.

What kind of "tracks" do you plan on racing on? What are your power goals for the car?

well i want to SC it because its different,

I dont know why but i dont want to do a conversion because everyone is doing those

i just want to do a SC setup.

I was going to run higher than 7psi at least 12psi is my goal.

My horsepower goal is at least 380 horsepower at the wheels.

Also what kind of Fabrication will be needed?

i know custom intake, a mounting bracket for SC, those are just of the top of my head.

Also i can do the custom fab work my self, at least most of it.

My dad owns a machine shop, and my care nut friend knows pretty much everyone around him that can do anything.

I did read the posted on weight reduction on those sites all 3 actually

and im gonna be taking out at least 600lbs of useless creap weight.

thanks for caring by the way.

well i want to SC it because its different,

I dont know why but i dont want to do a conversion because everyone is doing those

i just want to do a SC setup.

I was going to run higher than 7psi at least 12psi is my goal.

My horsepower goal is at least 380 horsepower at the wheels.

Also what kind of Fabrication will be needed?

i know custom intake, a mounting bracket for SC, those are just of the top of my head.

Also i can do the custom fab work my self, at least most of it.

My dad owns a machine shop, and my care nut friend knows pretty much everyone around him that can do anything.

I did read the posted on weight reduction on those sites all 3 actually

and im gonna be taking out at least 600lbs of useless creap weight.

thanks for caring by the way.

Well, if 380 RWHP is your goal, I suggest you doing with a larger size supercharger than most. You won't be able to run more than 9-10 lbs of boost without teetering on the edge of detonation. If you run a larger blower that pumps more volume out per lb of boost, you'll be able to safely make more power. Remember you're going to HAVE to retune the car entirely. You'll have to pull a fair amount of timing all throughout the RPM range as well as upgrading to at least 550cc injectors. The stock 370cc TT injectors will only safely support ~350-360 rwhp tops.

As far as fabrication goes, you should already have a good idea on that yourself. If not, you're probably getting into a project a little deeper than you realize. For starters, custom brackets, belts, pullies, intake plumbing, etc. will all need to be fabricated.

Well idk if you know about prochargers, but that is what im going to use.

What model procharger you think i should get?

There is a picture on procharger.com that shows a 300zx on there thats procharged.

it used a P-1SC and it said he was running it at 14PSI.

http://procharger.com/gallery/showtemp.php?market=5&idx=2110

The real wheel horsepower number is actually the flywheel number. well for at least the NA power one

I don't understand, you're asking if someone knows about pro-chargers, and then asking that same person what pro-charger to use.

In all honesty, there are a LOT of things you gotta worry about here before just jumping right into it.

how much MONEY do you want to spend, realistically.

lol oops i just to excited i guess.

well money wise idk, exactly.. lets just set aside the money part of it.

and get down to business.

i just want as much help as possible with the engine. AKA what kind of pistons can i use and rods

Will TT pistons and rods work in my NA motor.

so on..

• 1 month later...

Well I would start off with the lower compression pistons, and for your low HP goals you could put stock TT pistons in there. You will also need bigger injectors. You could use stock TT size but I would probably step up to the 555cc. Then you will need to have a custom tuned ECU, which shouldnt be a big deal since there are a good number of people out there doing that now. I would also look into either getting an aftermarket fuel pump or getting a stock TT unit(which would be more than enough). Thats about the bare minimum that I would do(that I can think of off the top of my head).

I guess since you are converting it to a track car then you will be getting rid of the AC so you should have the space for your supercharger. Making up a bracket isnt too big of a deal.

As for what you can get rid of.....As you said the EGR, you can get rid of all the water lines under the intake plenum, since you have a 90 you can get rid of the AIV system. You need to do alot of searching through twinturbo.net to get more info, they have about anything you need to know about a Z32 on there.

**My Opinion** - If you are going to go custom then go big. 380HP is hardly worth your time and effort. Put forged internals in the engine and get yourself a P1SC at the least. I would think you would be good for 600rwhp. Also, doing something just to be different when it comes to cars is rarely a good idea. Most times its different for a reason, because most people found a better way to do it.

Yeah TwinTurbo.net.

I'd suggest starting with a Twin Turbo Z32, the power you're trying to get isn't that much more than stock on a Twin turbo, and the cost of what you're planning is going to be enough that you might buy two Twin Turbo Z32's. Just look at the cost of the forged internals alone should make up your mind for you.

Edited by Pharaohabq
comment