HybridZ

engine wont turn over HELP!!!

ive searched and searched but i haven't found an answer relating to me. im sure there is but im going crazy searching....so don't tell me to search

So heres the story, i did an l28et swap on my 280z. everything was great and i was tearing up the streets until one day water started leaking from a hose and my car overheated and the head gasket blew.

About three days ago i replaced the headgasket and put the timing chain on along with a rebuilt cylinder head. the car started up first try and was running great, it wasnt over heating the oil pressure was fine , everything seemed to be good. i put about 300 miles on it over the past few days and it was running better than ever.Then my brother who was just dying to drive asked me if he could so i threw him the keys and he took it out really quick with my cousin. ten minutes later i get a call saying my car broke down. he told me that he was driving normally and then he down shifted into second and the car died. he then started it up again and drove it but he said it was making a weird noise and then just died on him again. after that it wouldnt even crank.

Today i took off the cylinder head to check for any valve damage (because i thought maybe i out the chain on wrong)but everything was okay. the problem is the crank wont turn...at all. what could have caused this. the car was running fine and then just all of the sudden the carnk wont turn at all. how can this happen. anybody know what happend?

Won't turn over, as in the starter won't. Or won't turn over as in putting a breaker bar on the the front pulley and trying. Either way I would say you spun a bearing (or a few). That would make the noise and cut off oil to that journal, and eventually get hot enough / chewed up enough to seize the engine up. You can also break piston rings, and have a piston stick in the bore...

Depends on how bad it is. If your crank didnt get hot enought to discolor it (blue or brownish instead of normal steel coloring) you can have it machined to use oversize bearings. If the block is damaged, it would probably be less expensive to buy another block. Personaly I would go with another crank / block, since L series parts are fairly inexpensive.

hey so what i dod was i actually bought another f54turbo block today haha, i saw it and it was cheap, so i got it quick just in case my block was badly damaged. it turns fine but i dont know how many miles are on it. Is there a thread explaing how to inspect it? because i dont know how to check if eveything is in good condition. what do you think i should do?

remove your plugs before you try to crank it over. if you got a good seat on your valves you will have a tough time trying to move the cylinders with the pressure they build on the compression stroke.

also, pour about a teaspoon of oil into each plug hole and let it sit for a day before u do it, just in case.

remove your plugs before you try to crank it over. if you got a good seat on your valves you will have a tough time trying to move the cylinders with the pressure they build on the compression stroke.

also, pour about a teaspoon of oil into each plug hole and let it sit for a day before u do it, just in case.

The head isnt on, its just the short block which ive already taken out, ive been a bum and still have looked at it yet, but will putting oil on top of the pistons really help...if the rings were the problem?

Oh and thanks for the pictures Swervey McZCar, i will be using them as soon as i find the time with my busy/popular life haha, but seriously thanks