HybridZ

MSA Downpipe and LM-1 wideband

Hey boys, read a thread about the bung on the MSA downpipe being too close to the turbo. Is this such a problem that we should have it relocated? We just wrapped the downpipe with thermo-tec heat wrap as well. Has anyone had any problems with their o2 sensor going bad because of this?

All the O2 sensor suppliers I have read about or heard from say you should keep the sensor at least 12" from the turbo. Any closer and the sensor can't control the temp properly inside the sensor and can/will give false readings, or go bad.

The sensor temp has to be within a certain range, 700-800deg or something, and as we all know, exhaust temps can range from 1000 to 1500 deg, which is well beyond the designed operating range of the sensors.

(Also, why did you post this in ignition/electrical, mods - move plz :-) )

I have a stainless DP with the O2 bung about 3-4 inches from the turbo. I ran my LM-1 on it for months without the sensor going bad. Can't say if it threw the accuracy off because I never compared it on a dyno. I'm in the process of having another bung welded further downstream because it is better but I think you can get by running it closer to the turbo with the recommended heatsink. I ran mine without the heatsink.

I think they're catering to the "bolt on" guys instead.

The O2 sensor on the stock EFI is unheated and I believe needs to be closer to the turbo. WBO2s can be anywhere in the exhaust stream before a cat or an exhaust leak and still provide good measurement.

That said, I've been running an LC-1 on the stock DP with no issues what so ever for over a year.