HybridZ

problems with cv install

J Taylor

I have the cv adapters from ROss installed on my 78 and went to put the CV's in yesterday. I got the pass side in, no problem except for the axle hitting the sway bar. Seems like I have heard of this problem before. What is the common way around it? Looks like I can get longer "links" and moving the mouting point up for the bar about an inch or so it should fix the problem(I hope). I went to the driver side and the CV wouldn't go in place. It slid all the way into the diff but I couldn't get the other end into place. It seems to be a couple of inches too long. Both axles are the same length, right? ANyone else had this problem?

JT

Hey guys,

Please clarify,

The half shaft center sections are the same length, the difference is the length of the splined ends that are inserted into the diff....

In other words, measuring from the inside surface of the CV boot housings, the two shafts will have the same compressed/extended length....

Is this correct??

There is a difference on my shafts in two places between the left and right halfshafts on the CV jointed ZX shafts. The axle itself is 1/2" longer (boot to boot measurement on mine for example) and 5/16" longer on the stub that inserts into the differential. Here is another posting of the photo of both sides. The drivers side is on top (short one). I noticed on mine the boots are different between the two on one side. This may or may not account for the axle length difference

standard.jpg

• 1 month later...

i just picked up a set of 280 zxt cv's and i was in the junkyard the other day and looked at some cv's from a 300zx. the axle on the bottom looks like the 280zxt axle i have because the rubber boots look the same as mine but the axle on the top , with the different boot looks like the ones on the 300zx.