HybridZ

Stock Rear Suspension upgrade on 81 280zx

I'm new to this forum and I'm a bit stuck. I've been rebuilding an 81 280zx coupe back to an every day driver, but I don't want it to feel like a cadillac anymore. As for the rear suspension, are there any good upgrades that are out there, either off the shelf or something that can be fab'd up that will limit the amount of float I get from the rear sub frame to the body mount? The rubber isolators between the sub frame and body are all worn out. I was thinking of replacing with solid steel spacers and leave all the suspension movement up to the shocks and lower trailing arm. Is that a bad idea or what...any help is greatly appreciated!

I modified some energy suspension subframe bushings from a Z31 to fit my crossmember.

Just have to trim them a bit to make fit.

22812360088_large.jpg

That's a good one.

Racers usually have aluminum bushings made so that there is zero flex in there, of course that basically solid mounts the diff, so it makes it noisy inside. Also slotting the rear crossmember for camber and toe adjustment is a good idea. These are the race type upgrades.

The main thing that will make it feel less like a riding LaZBoy is a spring and strut upgrade. If it is a street car and you're just looking for a firmer ride, start there.

The main thing that will make it feel less like a riding LaZBoy is a spring and strut upgrade. If it is a street car and you're just looking for a firmer ride, start there.

Very true.

I did this on my zx's rear and what a difference. The stock stuff should mabe be on a metro.;)

thanks for all the input. I've got everything out now, so I'd like to do it all now and leave it for the future. I like tec280zx's upgrade. I have one question though. when you modify the urethane part, do you set it up so that the sub frame rests on the urethane on the top and bottom at the same time the lower attachment nut is tightened into the frame of the car? The stock set up has a gap left at the top and bottom when the lower attachment nut is tight leaving the rubber to dampen out the motion / noise when it rotates to the extreme. If that is the case, then I'm all good to go.

Again, thanks for all the input you guys are great!