HybridZ

L28ET swap Turbo AFM question

Scott_M67

Thanks to everyone's PMs and posts and the sticky's that talked us into doing a L28ET swap for my son's '77 280z project. The original motor and 4 speed is finally sold, we bought a '81 L28ET complete with AFM, wire harness and ECU so we are off and running and spend hours a day searching and reading about everyone's swaps. I've found that the search function is great but unless you happen to type in the correct "key phrase" you can waste a lot of time looking for stuff.

We just scored a '75 N42/ non EGR intake so I'll need to drill and tap the bottom PCV location to be the same as on the Turbo intake, can't wait to clean up all that emissions stuff! As of today we are using a 5 speed and R200 from a 2+2 with the 240mm clutch.

My question is in regards to using the turbo AFM, that thing is huge and I read that most guys relocate it somewhere else like on the core support. Has anyone just cut the inner fender and fabbed a new section to allow mounting the AFM in the stock location? It seems like it would be less work for me and fit well in a stock location.

I'm not sure we have budget for a MegaSquirt system but it sure sounds like the cool way to go but I gotta tell you guys, my brain gets tired reading about all the various MegaSquirt configurations and all the acronyms associated with this swap but if I understand it correctly, it eliminates the huge AFM which means no fender fabrication or relocation, and allows for future addtions and increased power when my son's budget allows for all of it.

The MS board looks pretty easy to assemble (way cheaper than a prebuilt board) but testing it would be a concern and maybe worth the extra cost of buying an assembled board, we don't know but I do know we would have to save as much money as possible on something like this if we go this way. I'm also not clear on which is the easiest throttle body to use if we go this way. Whats everyone's thoughts on this before I start cutting metal to mount this AFM?

I'm at the point where the body is stripped of all parts and we are media blasting it and replacing sheet metal as needed. I'd like to get this engine bay figured out, the oil cooler location pinned down, the AFM mounting fabricated, and all other welding and fab work planned before I procede further. We also picked up a Neon SRT-4 intercooler to use (real cheap), yes, its not the biggest intercooler but it seems like it will fit very well with the end tanks reworked and will support a reasonable 250-300 HP build plus it only covers a portion of the A/C condensor and radiator. Getting the 2 1/4" piping routed using the stock fan and shroud may be an issue, not sure yet.

Thanks for everyones support and experience with our project.

Scott and Cameron

Thank you for that link, great help indeed and it looks like the AFM belongs there. So for you guys that have gone to MS, this may sound like a lame question but I need clarification on it. You need to go to a 240sx Throttle Body for the TPS switch and it looks like you need to use a spacer even after you port the intake, and do some guys keep the AFM or is it eliminated all together by the use of a sensor located in the intake manifold after the throttle body?

Take a look at my original build photos. I mounted the AFM right off the bracket for the original 280Z AFM. I cut the length of the 280ZXT hose to fit between the AFM and the Turbo.

http://dcerutti.smugmug.com/gallery/1749234_5BA2m#87171635_5Rxc2

TurboAFM over the AC compressor, attached to original 280Z AFM boss.

87171632_WFAnT-M.jpg

Great looking car, Cyg. When I was putting the motor in, I didn't think there would be room for the AFM, do you have any other pics of the AFM positioning, maybe from the bottom? I know the the AC is in the way, there might not be a way to get any better pics.

Scott -

This video shows how I mounted my AFM in front of the radiator - it's only temporary, since I have Megasquirt and an intercooler coming.

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/mbrazle/Turbo Motor/?action=view&current=MOV00125.flv

Oh, and about the TB and TPS, no, you don't HAVE to swap throttle bodies. All I did was find a TPS with the variable output and modify it to fit the original throttle body, can't remember what it came off, but that's definitely an option, and I think there are many TPSs out there that could work, with the right modifications.

With MS, the AFM is eliminated. Only a vacuum hose from the intake to a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor on the ECU board.

And in case you don't know where to source the TB adapter, check out these places:

http://hammondsplains.com/z/

http://www.freewebs.com/pallnet/

I don't see the adapters on pallnets page, but I think he sells them. Also, his hardware kits are excellent.

OMG Cyg.. that is one awesome looking car and a very nice website. You really got it right with that build. Great tip on mounting the AFM where you did boardkid, it looks great. So my dilema is, do the AFM now and get it running or just spend some more time and do the Megasquirt mod as long as we are at it. Good news on the TB too, if I can find a TPS switch I think I would rather go that route, and thanks again for those links, I haven't come across the 'hammonds' one before.

Do the AFM now, and get it running. It's so nice to have a running car, and it can give a boost to your motivation to keep working on it.

You can do the whole Megasquirt thing without too much down time. And if you're really planning on MS, out in front of the rad support should be fine as a temporary location for the AFM.

Thanks guys. I then ran a very sharp 90 degree tube down under the frame rail and into the headlight bucket for a cold air intake. It's not shown in any photos. I had to use a "cobra's head" elbow which is a VERY short 90 bend feeding the AFM. Then I made an oval tube out of 3" pipe to squeeze down in between the AC compressor and radiator. It worked well but under hard braking, the AC compressor would contact the cold air pipe. No biggie when the AC clutch was off.

I agree, hook up the AFM and go for a drive. It's inspirational. Fast even without MS.

I think I really lucked out mounting my afm when I first did my turbo swap. I found a plastic air intake pipe from a early z31 N/a It was the perfect fit to go in the stock rubber boot off the turbo and it went through the rad support and bent 90 degrees after. It had a 3" rubber end that the afm fit right into. Perfect fit cold air intake, it's almost like Nissan planned it.. LOL

I think I still have it if you are interested, I also have a Jpipe that has been modded to accept a 2.75" rubber and connect to the 60mm throttle body.

I walk the junkyards most every weekend for this kind of stuff but that pic up above sounds like the best solution.

I do know that the early toyota camry (84 84) with distributor in middle of the head comes with a intake tube that worked on my 1984 L24e maxima but I didn't use the turbo airflow meter.

I'm going tomorrow for one that goes from the turbo inlet to the MAF on a L28 in infiniti M30 car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my "temporary" setup. I turned the AFM upside down and ran a couple bolts through the inner fender that attach to the rubber isolators of the AFM. Ugly, but works. The filter and flex duct are from autozone and I just zip tied the filter to the hood torsion bars. Still in place after 1000 miles and probably will be till I add an intercooler :D

Kodak C813 090_thumb.jpg

Kodak C813 086_thumb.jpg