HybridZ

Helmet/lens suggestions

Clearly, I need something better than the cheapy harbor freight auto darkening helmet.

On using it, I have found out a few things.

It works as advertised but it goes so unbelievably dark that I can hardly see my work.

This is at the lightest setting while full on dark would probably protect one from a nuke detonated only blocks away.

Does anybody have experience with a different brand that has a better range of "darkening" that is actually useful?

One more thing.........don't use an auto darkening helmet outside at night.

I stuck my first "night arc" with this helmet and got a big strobe effect before the auto darkening clamped down.

I then tested this by pointing a light at the solar cell to keep it live and got no strobe effect.

I believe this is because it is powered by a solar cell so...........if you don't have ambient light powering the unit, you get a delay in darkening since the unit is not actually "live" in the dark...........apparently the circuitry doesn't include a capacitor/condensor or battery like device to keep it live in the lull between arcs.

Just a heads up that will save your vision if you weld in a dark area that might not have enough ambient light to keep the unit responsive.

I'm sure taking it apart and using a battery rather than the solar option would stop this but I'm done with this helmet anyway because of the "too dark" experience.

Its expensive, but I've never had any darkening problems with my Speedglas 9002X. I'm under it every day sometimes for hours and hours. Its really, really nice when welding thin wall stainless tubing at 30 amps with a .040 tungsten.

If you are planning on doing any low-amp TIG, I would spend more and do Speedglas or Jackson shell with Nexgen lens. Both are expensive, $300.00+. If that doesn't scare you off, I might lean towards the newer Speedglas hoods that have a new lens retainer design and a sweet headgear redesign. For sub $300 hoods I would look at Jackson hoods with the EQC series lens. Light, durable shells with a good lens that uses "standard" lens covers. (2x4" inner and 4 1/2x5 1/4" outer) Huntsman has a cheap hood called the Nitro that is decent, very light, and good for students or hobbyists. It can be had for $115+, and is better than most of the budget HF type helmets in the $40 to $80 range. Miller has a range of hoods, and some people are huge fans. Honestly.... they don't suck, but I lean away from them. You have to buy Miller lens covers, which usually will only be found at a decent welding supply, and Miller's covers and replacement headgear are a little pricier than average. The headgear also wear out faster, for what its worth. They are very pretty though.... until you use them. = )

Finally, there is no reason that a auto-darkening lens can't be used at night, as long as it works properly in the first place, and has a battery that isnt dead. Some hoods have a non-replaceable internal battery, or a capacitor setup that is used in conjunction with the solar cell. These lens have to be stored near a light source so that whatever the design, it never completely loses juice. Otherwise they will indeed flash you, and sometimes will never recover and will have to be thrown away.

I have the "Flame" HF hood, and I always weld with a halogen light shining on the work. This allows me to see adequately w/o flashes on a setting a little darker than the lowest setting.

I also have the least expensive HF helmet for people that ocme over and want to watch and no-one has gotten flashed with it either.

I will say that for TIG, you would want a better helmet tho...

I bought a cheapy ($120AUD) UNIMIG welding helmet about 6mths ago and found it quite good! but it stopped auto darkening, (I may have helped as I can be a bit careless :-)) so had to get a new helmet!

There is a place locally that sells Miller's, Speedglass and their own brand (which are just re-branded Miller helmets)

The Miller Elite was $500AUD, whilst the Speedglass 9100xx was $670 - after I put on the 9100xx grabbed it straight away, no offence to the Miller folks, but it was basically the same helmet as my $120 UNIMIG except it had a function for grinding and was suitable for TIG work!

The helmet was the same as the UNIMIG and the lense looked like it was made on the same factory floor as the UNIMIG lense, all the dials were the same, had the same look, just one extra button for grind mode!

Sure the Miller would have been a good unit, but the smaller lensed 9100v was basically the same price as the Miller and no way you would pay the same for the Miller as you would the Speedlglass!!! seemed way over priced for the quality of it compared with the Speedglass helmet!

Bite the bullet and get the speedglass, such a great helmet compared to what I was using!!!

You guys get them so much cheaper than we do in OZ as well!!!