HybridZ

What color to paint the engine bay?

SoCalJack

Hey guys. I been having a hard time deciding what color to paint my engine bay. The car is an 280ZX with black exterior, and the interior is becoming black and red.

I cannot decide between:

flat black

gloss black

undercoating

gunmetal (dark grey)

I want something that will be somewhat easy to keep clean, and will look good.

Any ideas?

This is right after we took the engine out:

101_2421.jpg

Match the exterior. I think the gloss black will look best, and be easiest to clean. I wouldn't be surprised if dirt 'sticks' to the flat black more; happens on my flat black louvers/tail light panel.

Black cars are the only cars that should have black engine bays. I think engine bays should match the rest of the body or compliment it. Black is the wussy way out. Or you can do safety pink... I approve.

Agreed, finally someone who shares my viewpoint on this. I love the blue engine bay on my blue car.

Match the exterior. I think the gloss black will look best, and be easiest to clean. I wouldn't be surprised if dirt 'sticks' to the flat black more; happens on my flat black louvers/tail light panel.

Agreed, finally someone who shares my viewpoint on this. I love the blue engine bay on my blue car.

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking too. I thought about painting it red too.... just to have it really stand out when you open the hood. But I think I would rather the bay be a darker/neutral color so that the engine stands out more.

Well thank you guys for your input. I think I decided with satin black (thanks to Kenshinx and Vintage!!!) Paint the bay and the mundane stuff satin black and have the stuff that I want to stick out red or gloss black. Thanks again for the ideas, its much appreciated.

SEM makes a catalyzed kit called "Hot Rod Black HR010" everything that you need comes in a box, just mix it all together and shoot. Looks VERY nice, and will not 'chalk' on you later. Satin / Semi-Gloss Black is the best of both worlds when going black. Flat looks dirty ALL of the time, and gloss is conspicuous when part only of it is dirty or chipped.

My .02

The satin black engine bay is most familiar to 'older' hot rod guys. In the sixties and much of the seventies, all cars came with black engine bays. Now, it is more of a 'Newstalgia' look. It is also MUCH more practical in the event of future exterior color changes. Everyone has an opinion.....

Hey guys. I been having a hard time deciding what color to paint my engine bay. The car is an 280ZX with black exterior, and the interior is becoming black and red.

I cannot decide between:

flat black

gloss black

undercoating

gunmetal (dark grey)

I want something that will be somewhat easy to keep clean, and will look good.

Any ideas?

This is right after we took the engine out:

101_2421.jpg

SoCalJack: When I changed the differential and shocks on my 240Z, I sprayed a spackle white and grey paint in the wheel wells and underbody where the diff and half shafts came out, and damn does it look nice. Additionally, with the lighter color it is easy to tell when there is a leak of fluid from the Diff. I intend to do the same thing to the engine compartment when converting to a V8 engine. Just my $0.02.