HybridZ

I want a part made.

Beau M

Yep, as above, just keep it waxed.

You can get aluminium anodised with a finish called "Bright Anodising" though, and it is extremely bright. That will hold up better then polish and waxing, especially for outdoor gear.

Just to help clear something up. You cant just buy a Chrome piece and make something out of it. You would need to buy a piece of steel , make the part and then send the finished piece to have it chromed. A somewhat expensive task because they would need to polish the piece to a luster before chroming.

And you will not work harden SS when drilling it. Drill with slow RPM and use lots of lubricant, otherwise you will burn up your cutter. Most home drill presses dont go nearly slow enough to cut SS...I know ....I found out the hard way! It also depends on the grade of SS and lots of metalurgical mumbo jumbo....anyway, it doent matter for a trim piece that takes zero load of any sort. Correct me if Im mis-understanding but this is a decorative application...not functional so your primary concern is appearance?

SS may be the best option for a trim piece. It can be purchased with a brushed, matt or polished finish. It even comes with a protective plastic film to prevent scratching during the manufacture of the part. Best part is , SS will not tarnish like AL.

Also, do you reccomend chrome, or stainless steel?

No probs...There will be zero SS discoloration if you cut at the right speeds...slow.

Thanks for the tips. I know I would have to have it chromed after the part was made, but with SS I was worried about getting discoloration on the cut edges. I'm still a ways off from making these things.