HybridZ

Broken Head bolts, Head is stuck

attworth

Broke one this weekend. I am not too concerned about it because it was on the torquing process that it happened! It's the #1 on the thermostat side.

"Easy outs" and other various screw and bolt extractors are FAR FAR more likely to work and NOT snap off into the broken bolt (thusly creating a panic and a much larger pain in your tail) WHEN USED ON A BOLT THAT WAS BROKEN WHILE TIGHTENING IT. Sorry to yell, but I wanted to put emphasis on that; Bolts which have totally frozen threads because of rust/overtorque/whatever it was but it is sitting there mocking you welded together are NOT good candidates for easy outs because they are VERY likely to simply break the easy out.

I am just really starting to pick this up from a couple of trusted sources and really nodding my head at it, because I have AVOIDED breaking easy outs in nasty stuck bolts before. Not sure if I have ever actually done it or not, but I know I;ve seen it happen and developed a paranoia long ago.

So, as a rule of thumb, if you are using a screw extractor on a rusted/seized bolt or stud that you are trying to DIS assemble, you should basically walk into the affair ANTICIPATING upon breaking it, because it is VERY easy to do so. History is replete with us jerks who will tell you all about the godawful time we had when it happened to us :mrgreen:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images