HybridZ

Limited Slip Or Positraction?

georgiaz

Guest Anonymous

Jack the rear up. Take car out of gear. Turn one wheel. If the other wheel moves in the opposite direction, no lsd or posi. If is moves in the same direction, you have lsd or posi. Mark

Unless it is a damaged open diff, or a worn out limited slip. Positraction is GMs trade name, TrakLok is Dana's and Traction Lock is Ford's. They all mean the same thing, Clutch pack limited slip. Only way to know for SURE is to pull the cover... But since the LSD is most uncommon, I would assume that you have reason to believe you might have one? If that is the case, then most likely Mark's method will confirm/deny that.

Take the cover off!

I know I sound like a broken record, but that's the ONLY way you will know of you have a limited slip. The spin the wheels, turn the driveshaft, or burnout tests will not tell you if its a welded diff, a LSD, or if some guy has filled the unit with sawdust and 140W gear oil.

Take the cover off!

Guys, slow down please, you'r leaving me. I'm showing my ignorance here, but I'm not sure what to look for if I did pull the cover. I did run it down the street the other day (first time and damn it's quick). I know you said it may not be a determining factor, but the right side tire does light up quite a bit more than the left. Doesn't the JTR manual say that the posi-traction was standard?

Guest 240hybrid

georgia Z...when you pull the rear cover, turn the gear until you see some numbers. should be an equation to calculate out that will give you your ratio. example 37 x 11= 3.36 gear ratio. Hope this helps. 2thumbs.gif

Chase

Originally posted by 240hybrid:

georgia Z...when you pull the rear cover, turn the gear until you see some numbers. should be an equation to calculate out that will give you your ratio. example 37 x 11= 3.36 gear ratio. Hope this helps. 2thumbs.gif

Chase

Chase,

Should be 37 divided by 11. Small oversight, I'm sure :D

Tim