HybridZ

S13 coilovers -----> S130 chassis.

the first pic is the adapter I made. You can see the holes I drilled and where it bolts to the 280ZX control arm in the original locations, and you can also see the 3 bolts I drilled to get the maxima/stanza balljoint on there. Oops, I forgot to put in the balljoint pic, so its last (sixth) and out of order. But in the last pic you can see the ball joint bolted to the adapter, bolted to the control arm.

second pic is just the 240SX spindle/hub assembly bolted to the the control arm/balljoint assembly.

third pic is the coilover unit and everything put into my 280ZX.

fourth pic is a side veiw and you can kind of see the angle that the ball joint sits at

and fifth pic you can see how well it all works out assembled and dropped on the ground!

the thought process behind the coilovers was to measure the betweeen the tops of the strut towers on both cars and measure ball joint ot ball joint across the front suspension on both cars, then subtract the distance between the strut tops from the distance between the balljoints and find out how much further the ball joints are out on the S13 as opposed to the 280ZX. with all the math, I figured I needed to put the ball joints out about 1.25" on each side to keep the stock S13 geometry. which is still kind of screwed up anyway because the control arms on the 280ZX are actually longer than S13, but at least the strut angle is right!

the rears were easy, like I said. just redrill the top mount for 3 mounting bolts instead of the s13 2, and turn down the OD of the top mounting had so it will fit in the 280ZX rear strut tower.

13212_thumb.attach

arm+spindle_thumb.JPG

assembled_thumb.JPG

assembledside_thumb.JPG

flush_thumb.JPG

balljoint_thumb.JPG

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My aim for this was to make it bolt in with as little custom work as possible, and to keep from cutting the chassis or any original parts. basically, I wanted to make this completely reversible in case my car ever becomes a collectible, HA ha!!!

Its not the suspension Im worried about, 1 fast Z. HA ha! Im sure it will make it.

I havent driven it yet as the engine is under construction as well. the camber appears to be o.k. I am also running S13 camber plates up front, and I had it set for neutral (0 degrees) and it looks like thats what I got, so I think everything is set up fairly well.

Im just getting some machinery (mill and bandsaw) set up in my garage and if I do sell them, it wont be until after MSA. so, early may at the earliest.

as far as the brakes go, the only thing special you need to run 300ZX big brakes on a 4 lug set-up is a 300ZX rotor re-drilled for 4 lug. and of course the caliper specific brackets to bolt them to the hub.

Ohh, selling suspension components, I would setup an LLC for sure! I make lots of parts for customers, but NEVER suspension. Stick to making cool products for yourself, so you dont get sued by some shmuck that drives his car on nasty dirt roads for ten years, then the alluminum fatigues and brakes, then kills someone, and you get sued.

Wouldn't your adapters basically act as a type of bump steer spacers?

Instead of using a different ball joint, i'm thinking of trying to use the s13 control arm and tension rod. I just don't have the time to hunt down any spare 240sx parts to play with right now. Anyhow, i'll see how it works in the meantime.

240SX control arms are wayyyyy too short. plus, my car will be lowered with the coilovers on it, so Ill need the spacers, lol.

on another note...... anyone know of any outer tie rods that will fit a 280ZX rack that are about 1.5 to 2" longer than stock? Ill probably just make some tie rod extenders.....