HybridZ

Converting to Fuel injection

emeraldlion

Okay, just bought a 72 z with an l28 from a 75 z. It has a bob sharp intake with a 4 barrel holley on it. I've been searching and having trouble piecing together what I would need to swap to fuel injection. The engine has dished pistons and a hot cam 490/280 I believe. dished pistons had to be used to clear the valve lift. Idles mean but I would ilke to convert over to better fuel delivery that the 4 barrel, and would prefer to go with injection what parts from what years could I throw together for a decent system?

you could take the complete system form an n/a 280Z injectors and all, taht would be the easiest, if you wanted something special you could do the Z31 ecu swap or megasquirt etc, or even the managment off a GV 3.8 could be made to work, just different items to have to adapt

So the megasquirt is just the ecu though correct? What are the cons to a stock fuel injection unit? With the engine setup I would prefer to dyno tune so I'm assuming I would have to adapt an o2 sensor into my header/collector? I'm coming from honda tuning where everything is obd1 or obd2. I like carbs, but the whole 90degree turn from a 4 barrel and the 1 and 6 cylinder lean issue from these intakes seems a bit concerning. Even though arizonazcar has tried to debunk this claim it makes sense that the turn slows down airflow and would lean 1 and 6.

Could alway do some sort of TBI setup from chevy. Tons of setups that just bolt on where a carb would go. Very cool stuff.

Here is just one example.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D502%2D20S&N=700+4294925239+4294839074+4294853151+115&autoview=sku

Dont wory about running lean. The fuel is mixed at initial entry into the manifold. Now, 1 & 6 MIGHT have slightly less total flow. But it is already an air/fuel mixture so there will be no damage because its not running lean.

They're going to tell you to do some searching; a lot of this has been covered. You have lots of options; you just need to know what they are and how they work. No one is going to make a list for ya, etc. Welcome to the forums. I'd personally recommend you go to a standalone since the stock EFI systems are durable but really only suitable for very near to stock.

I would shamelessly pich to you my stock 280 fuelly system; however, I doubt that it will run well with that cam. My sugestion would be either the tbi mentioned above or some sort of stand alone efi. But imho a set of well tuned stock su's would be better than that down draft 4 barrel. I do agree with searching more... that will give you the chance to form your own opinion instead of just taking the advice of others.

Good Luck!

Yeah, I did some searching and the pieces of info here and there make it a day long chore to figure something out. But that holley FI system recommended sounds like a winner. I came from the volkswagen world of webber IDF's and downdraft ITB's for fuel injection I hadn't seen the holley conversion.

Yeah, I did some searching and the pieces of info here and there make it a day long chore to figure something out. But that holley FI system recommended sounds like a winner. I came from the volkswagen world of webber IDF's and downdraft ITB's for fuel injection I hadn't seen the holley conversion.

What I also thought would be hella cool to do one day. Running a GM TBI setup with mega squirt. This could be dome much cheaper than the stuff I linked above. However megasquirt is far from just plug and play. I want to do this setup one day with the classic TurboToms kit. Ditch the carb and go GM TBI. Complete tunabilty on a sweet classic setup!

Believe us!!!!!!!! When we go off telling someone to search. Its not only for our benifet or because it has been covered a hundred times before. But it while searching you get an understanding of all the options that are around and what each one offers you. So please, go do some seaarching in the megasquirt, turbo and section L-series. Also fuel delivery will be a big one as will chevy V8's as they have the TBI.

Good Luck!