HybridZ

Seats

Guest Frank280z

I never saw a Z with Supra seats in it. But if you're looking for a cheap seat install... Go under links. To Brian(Holdeman)Garage. He has a couple pages on an Eagle Talon seat conv. to Z.

Frank

I have conquestTSI seatsin my car, and they are High end seats....VERY ADJUSTABLE!!!! Got them for $150 at a pick-N-pull.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited June 05, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Hey Mike

Do you recall what year TSI your seats came out of ? Did they fit right in ? Did you use the TSI mounts or z?

------------------

74 260, sbc 350, 700r4, and a few little HP Mods.just gettin started good. speedtechcoatings.com

[This message has been edited by takman57 (edited June 05, 2000).]

Mike, are the Conquest seats thick in the bottom cushion, compared to the 240Z seats?

I'm 6'1" kind of medium range torso length for that height, so this concerns me.

I tried putting 92 Eclipse seats in from a junkyard (I have a 92 Eclipse GSX and like the seats) but they were too tall from the bottom cushion to the roof (a bit wide too).

BTW, if anyone is near MD, I have a nice pair of grey cloth Eclipse seats (driver's side has adjustable side bolsters) that I'd like t o sell. Paid $100 - take them away for $50.

Anybody tried Miata seats? I hear they are thin in the bottom cushion like the Z, and look like they were made for the car.

I fabricated brackets and mounted the seat, sans frame to the channel of the seat frame on the floor of the car. The seats do not have overly thick seat foam, but they are nice and comfy. I'm 5 ft. 8 inches tall and they are fine. I have about 4 inches clearance to the roof from my head. The seats were out of an 86 Conquest TSI. They are factory recarro units.

Mike

------------------

mjk

(wish this forum would use a cookie for my password - especially since it's one that it assigned me)

I have 91 Plymouth Laser (it's a DSM like the Eclipse) seats in my 240. Got 'em for $75 for the pair. I did a slight bit of welding to bring the rear mount further back. I like them - huge improvement over the crappy stock seats. I am 6' with longish torso. My hair just touches the roof of the car.

My choice was mainly dictated by what was available in the yards here in NC. You have to get them when the car first comes in, because none of the yards seem to care about keeping water out of the insides of the cars.

Guest Frank280z

Mike, I met a guy yesterday had a 77(all show) with the conquest seats in it. They fit great and felt very confortable. I'm looking for a set now.

Frank

Good Luck Frank! THey are out there... just keep us posted on what you find... The 240SX seats from 89-91 timeframe are a good looking alternative seat, although I haven't installed those.

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Frank280z

I also forgot to mention that the guy I talked to also has #476 of the 500 240s made in 70. His current project. Sweeet... I almost had my hands on one last year. It was sold by the time I read the ad. It was one of the first 100 made.Oh well. rolleyes.gif

Frank

• 1 month later...

I own a Miata and seriously considered those seats :-) The car I'm swapping into came with Recaros though so I'm not seat shopping anymore. Side bolsters squeeze me a bit tight for my taste though - we'll see how the cage fits aorund them.

If anyone has a burning urge to know measurements or anything about the Miata seats let me know. Could do some pics too if needed. I'd do the same for the Recaro but I've no idea what model they are etc. I'm 6 foot 2 inches and not only fit a Miata (91) but the seats are fine too. Not much side bolster I'm afraid.

Guest Frank280z

Found a set of leather conquest seats at a local junkyard. Maroon leather. Guy says" Uh $20 each n' you could havem'... Great price. But will a quality vinyl paint cover these seats well? Will it last? Varicolor or VHT?

Frank

If they are real leather, I kind of doubt the paint would work well. Talk to an uphosterer.

BTW, I had a guy come over in his Miata and he pulled the seat. We test fit it and it is plenty small in width (2 inches narrower, seemingly everwhere- much the same shape as a Z seat) The cushion length was the same (about 2 feet) and the seat bottom was just a tad thinner. I had my Z seat in without any of the plastic spacers on the studs and I had 3 1/2 finger widths between my head and the un-linered roof. The Miata seat allowed for about 4 fingers.

The Miata seats mount differently (holes in the brackets instead of studs) and the pads with the holes are angled a bit from the seat rail. The adapter brackets wouldn't be hard to make though.

The seats seemed o.k. in comfort and support, nothing to write home about (they were out of a 91 though, so might be flattened). Supposedly, the seat mounting, etc. were all the same from 1990-1998.