HybridZ

RB26dett into 240z project

240zdan

Hey everyone. I am fairly new to this site, have been lurking for a while now researching and gathering information. Anyhow, I Have been working on my RB26dett 240z project for a few weeks and thought I would share the progress. It all started after seeing a datsun 240z on craigslist for $1500 in seattle. I had been happily working on/racing my CRX at the time and just finished the build, awaiting larger injectors and more boost. I sold that bitch to feed my 240z addiction. I didnt even get a chance to fully break in the motor. Oh well, we all know FWD sucks anyways.

IMG_0552.jpg

n505444825_1217691_3818.jpg

Me and my dad drove out to get the 240z as a restoration project. After I saw the car and how sweet it was I knew I had to get my own. Here is a pic of the first car we bought in its current state. It will be a beautiful car when done. The color is 350z red. Its undergoing a full restoration.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

So the hunt began. It started out with this car which was for sale locally. Too rusty and too many missing parts. For parts it became.

IMG_0548.jpg

Then I bought this car. It came with triple webers, a nice header, crack free dash, alot of nice parts. The car itself was ok, it needed a bit of work was the first impression. After taking it apart I realized it was rusted beyond repair. For parts again. You can see the orange 240z flipped on its side in the background.

IMG_0594.jpg

At this point I am extremely frustrated with finding a clean 240z and decide I want to keep the crx. Then this car came up for sale.

IMG_0653.jpg

A shot of the car after a I threw some of my parts on it. This car has almost no rust. This is the one.

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0718_001.jpg

The engine.

IMG_0785.jpg

Z32 tranny mated to RB26 bellhousing with custom shifter. The shifting feels very solid and will allow me to place the engine very close to the firewall while still more or less keeping the stock shifter location.

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Z32/RB26 speed sensor. Will be modifying the Z32 shaft and gear to fit in the rb26 housing to keep factory cable speedo. More on this later.

IMG_0780.jpg

The engine is currently awaiting a custom oilpan, custom gt2860r ball bearing turbos from my work, and a timing belt and water pump. Then it will be ready for engine mount mock up/installation. I want to see how far I can push the car with a stock clutch. Hoping for low 12s. No major goals other than to get the car running. Next year the car will be built to handle some serious power.

stony hit some low 12's with a virtually stock motor and increased boost levels. I think your goals are well within reach with the turbo setup and the stock clutch, though the clutch may not last long.

very nice catch on the SECOND and THIRD car. I can only imagine how far into my project I would be if I started with either one...

Interesting shifter solution... can you expand on what all you used for that mod, it's kinda hard to tell in that one pic. Thanks!

shifter.JPG

Ill snap a more clear picture if youd like, but basically the shifter is directley bolted to the shift rod elminating the u joints. all thats needed after that is a pivot point so the shifter can move forward and back. This is where the hyme joints and steel rod are allowing the shifter to pivot forward and backward as well as side to side

I chose to use steel rod because I couldnt find any correct threaded ready rod for the hyme joints, but that would have been a much more professional approach, as then you would be able to adjust the angle of the shifter by simply removing your center console/shift boot and adjusting the length of the rod.

I want to commend you on you patience and persistence. I too was hasty in selecting a base for my project and purchased a POS rust bucket the first go around and ended up bailing out on it and finding a clean '71 Series 1 instead (2,800 for basically a R200 rearend). Anyone looking to start a project take heed, your money goes sooo much further paying a little more for a clean, as rust free as possible body as you can find. There are still plenty out there. Also be very careful if you travel a long way to look at a possible purchase. Your tendency will be to discount the bad and focus on the good. Be critical and don't dismiss rust as something that can be easily fixed. Unless you are a body man you can easily exceed the value of the vehicle in a body restoration. Even you young guys that have limited funds and are getting impatient don't be too quick to jump. Thats the beauty of the Z,they are plentful and realitively cheap. Thats why few feel guilty about heavily modifying these cars, these are not ferarris.

stony hit some low 12's with a virtually stock motor and increased boost levels. I think your goals are well within reach with the turbo setup and the stock clutch, though the clutch may not last long.

very nice catch on the SECOND and THIRD car. I can only imagine how far into my project I would be if I started with either one...

11.138 @ 127 MPH to be exact!!!!

15PSI on stock turbos

680cc injectors

SDSEFI

Rb26dett