HybridZ

My $50 paintjob

Meph

1 Optional: Get some grey tremclad primer, thin about 1 part thinner to 3.5-4 parts primer, Spray the car, this dosnt have to be a great coat, the primer snads smooth very easy, much easyer than enamel paint.

2: Sand Current paint or primer relativly smooth ( I say this because chances are the paint wont be perfect, or close to it really so going really fine is just a waist right now)

3: Colour Coats, get your compressor (mines a 1.3hp continous with 5 gal tank) get your paint gun (i purchased a small spray gun for the job, with a .8mm nozzel, this ment the paint had to be thinner 1:3 ish.) Set your psi to about 40-60, the small gun let me run higher psi for longer compared to my regular sized gun.

Start layering on paint, thin coats, give them about an hour inbetween to get tracky and dry, i did about 4-5 coats.

4: let it dry for a while, like a week in the sun

5: nows the time to fix imperfections, get some big razor blades from the dollar store, find your runs and use the blade the scrape them off flush with the paint.

6: get some wetsand sand paper maybe 400 grit or so (you can go 400, 1000, 2000 grit if you want it really smooth, but again, its cheap paint dont go overboard on yourself)

7: Sand it down but be sure not to eat through the paint, try to get rid of the orange peel texture as much as you can

8: Electric Buffer needed, i got one for about 70 dollars, get some buffing compound as well. Wet te buffing pad, smeer on some polishing compound and get spinning. Its a bit of an art you'll pick up on as you go, it might leave behind a haze, dont go nuts trying to buff it away and eat through the paint.

9: Get some wax, the type you apply with a sponge, cheap turtle stuff is good. Apply liberally on a warm day out of the direct sun, let it haze over then rub it off, it would take the haze from the buffer and leave a glass finish.

10: Enjoy your cheap, but decent paint job. To make this paint work you

Need:

- to spray it, the roller is a giant PITA. I prefer the 10 minute a coat sprayer method, I once used a 15 dollar electric sprayer and it worked good enough but A LOT of waisted paint everywhere

-Wetsand a buff, it will give it an even finish. If you dont do it, it will be shitty. Ive never really tryed the orbital buffer but I think the big honkin rotarty one is the only real way to go

looks great. Maybe you can do mine? I'm in Richmond Hill, and my 240 is in Sauga at the shop. You've got mick's old car right? Looks much better. The rims are orgasmic. Have building. I'm hoping to have mine done sometime this summer.

yep its Mick's, do you know him? Last time i was in contact with him I was asking for some parts that should have been with the car but went missing, he just broke contact, not a huge deal, i made due without them. I could do a paintjob if you want, no guarentees on it being perfect but with some time it can get pretty close and for a lot less then 2-3k. Let me know if you want to get into details.

p.s. is there any build threads or additional info on the car i have?

I spoke to him because I was looking at buying that same car, but i already had mine and didn't want the 1jz or anything like that. I did want those Epsilon rims though, but it never amounted to anything.

Turns out after speaking to him, we know some of the same people. That car was supposed to come to our shop and he was gonna build it there. Never happened. My shopmates know him. He seemed like a nice enough guy on the phone, but I wouldn't hold your breathe waiting for more stuff.

I'm definitly interested in a paintjob. my car is mostly fiberglass panels now, and in primer (got it this way). Few bodywork things to be done, but mostly ready for paint. I cant spray in the shop and I was gonna do the roller method, but I don't want to wetsand for a month. As well, if i'm going through all the trouble, i want something that wont fade, and Tremclad will do that, despite what everyone on the forum said. let me know what you'd charge. I want a good quality semigloss black with a matter clear

• 2 weeks later...

Wow..cool to see a car as beautiful as yours in Barrie. Sadly Barrie’s climate is hard on these early Japanese cars let alone cars in general. In all the years I lived in Barrie, I cannot remember seeing any S30 cars. Congrats on a cool paint job done insexpensively.

Here is a photo of a similar painted and also beautiful Datsun Roadster that I took at the Solvang Roadster show in California two weekends ago.

363473123.jpg

Regards - Yasin