HybridZ

Oil pressure issue or am I just over worried?

pallnet

Today I noticed on my Autometer oil pressure gauge that at idle sitting at a red light the pressure is at 15psi. When I drove off from the dead stop/idle, the pressure rose to roughly 40psi. What are some readings you guys have at idle and so forth?

I'm having a little trouble trying to locate one of my FSM's to see what it says, it has been misplaced.

My car is running an L28ET in case anyone needs to know.

Thanks for any help.

pallnet

I have a Toyota 4x4 turbo and the sender went out. :(

The Haynes manual says anything above 4.3 psi at idle is fine, @3000 RPM, 36-71 psi. I hooked up a mechanical pressure gage and I'm at 40 psi at idle...

I know it is a different engine, but they can't be that far off (I would think). I can't find any minimum oil pressure specs in either of my Datsun Haynes manuals.

Hope this helps Peter! -hughdogz

Sounds fine. The stock oil pressure gages used to rest at almost 0 psi and a red light would come on, so in beginning in some year model (I can't remember which) Nissan fudged the oil pressure reading to read a little higher idle so owners wouldn't freak out at the low reading.... or so the story goes.

My car idles warm at 10, as soon as you get on the throttle its up from there until it hits about 70 lbs around 4k. It holds this pressure till redline and then its back down to 10 again for idle. I haven't had any problems at all, my motor has about 5k on it and I am running full synthetic 10w-30.

Thanks for the reassurance fellas. I'm ready to pull the motor from the Z and see if I can save it, if so then it will possibly be lined up for another S13 swap instead of having to replace this stocker L28ET. Well the swap will happen if I can:

1) Keep the present L28ET alive for at least a year and

2) If I can find another nice S13 with a blown motor.

Thanks again.