HybridZ

Megasquirt or l28ET, which one first?

Bordermix

Hey Guys,

I have been searching and learning from all of the excellent information here but this is my first post so I will try and get it right.

I have a 77' 280 with a tired stock motor so I am in the process of rebuilding an 82' l28ET. I know I definetly want to go with a Megasquirt set-up for both fuel and spark. My question is should I get Megasquirt running first on the stock motor and then drop in the l28ET or perform the swap and then install Megasquirt?

Thanks

My opinion is things tend to take longer, way longer when you do mroe than 1 thing at once. I know this dont swap the motor and ms at same time. I would ms your first engine that way you learn ms more and have more room for error. While your building your turbo motor on the side I guess.

if you are new to ms you have less chance of a blowing up an engine by starting with a naturally aspirated engine.better to practice on the old engine.you can put all pretty much all the same efi stuff on the na engine-just tune it different on the ms.before i went turbo i had a stock 77 motor in my car.i put new injectors,recurved the distributor and did a major tune up-i drag raced some girls in a 94 v8 camaro and beat them good.

like i said get your ms if your really going to end up with it. That way you can ms your engine get in the world of standalone ecu, and learn to tune. You can even throw your turbo parts on there and destroy the old na motor and build the other one on the side good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rolling Parts

If I had to do it all over again, I'd keep driving the Z and would have gotten the turbo and MSII and new clutch and ZX transmission all up and running as a unit BEFORE doing the engine swap. Then the "swap" would then have been the whole working engine/transmission as a complete system and that only takes a weekend of downtime. All it would take is bolting up a simple 3 point "sled" to hold the engine mounts and transmission. Add some Harbor Freight wheels, a garden hose, a spare battery an a laptop and voila! a test stand.

In other words, I'd build up everything together AND keep driving the car too.

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on your level of expertise in building engines you may want to swap in the turbo motor with the stock ecu in order to work out all the kinks before attempting to throw MS on the engine. This way you know the motor is running good and you are able to break it in without worrying if your tune is decent. It can be a pain in the butt to troubleshoot problems when you don't know if that problem is with your engine management or a mechanical issue. Just a thought from someone who has been there.