HybridZ

stock breakin time PLEASE HELP

Ok long story short some lady pulled out in front of me today and i hit her. it was totally her fault and im willing to take it to court or as far as i can to prove my innocence's and hopefully get paid. Im not sure if i have upgraded brakes because i bought the car with them on but the fronts have drilled rotors and the calibers are red..i think their just stock painted but they could be after market idk. what im wanting to know it the stock specs for the breakin time of a 76 280z. like in how many seconds at a certain speed and what not. i think it will help my case cause the car skid for awhile and the cops think i was speeding way over the speed limit, which is not true. PLEASE HELP SO I CAN GET MY CAR BACK ON THE ROAD. or at least get another z.

Picture20027.jpg

The police department has people whos job is to find out how fast people were going before they hit a car, ran off the road, etc.

Really sorry to hear about your car. You had a really nice car. :(

Was the jeep the lady that pulled out? It looks pretty untouched.

yeah. her fender was messed up..but not too bad. the jeep def won. i think my frames bent and my radiator busted. im just looking for like you know how they have 0-60, 1/4 mile time, braking time lists. like a car spec sheet.

Oh yeah sorry, forgot thats what you said in the original post. Thing is if theres a spec sheet on the datsuns braking distance or time it would be in a case where they arent locked up. Hopefully someone could actually test it by locking up their brakes and timing it.

yeah idk. im callin insurance first thing in the morning and im gonna try and get this all figured out. i have about 300 witnesses cause this happened while leaving a HUGE car meet. and people are sending me pics of the wreck which clearly show her blocking both lanes. i hope it all works out.

The issue is who is a fault and to what percent. Did the other driver have a stop sign prior to entering into traffic? If so they are only allowed to enter the the road in front of you when it is safe to do so, obviously it wasn't safe. Her insurance company is going to ask you what percent of the accident was your fault. Your answer should be derived by how closely you were following the speed limit based on the existing conditions.

stock brake distance or time is irrellivant, either they had posession of the lane and you hit them, or you had posession of the lane and she pulled dout in front of you, it's obvious you hit her but the question is wh had posession of the lane

Also coming into play is the surface condition of the hiway. Check the police report and see if they identify any extraneous factors that may have initiated your brakes locking up. EG: it looks like you are near water in the photo. If there is sand on roadway it could have induced premature brake lock and excessive skidding even though your speed was low.

I'd suggest taking photos of any conditions that might help your case. Photos taken as soon as possible after the accident can greatly assist your stated claims.

Br3nnan,

Hey man, that bites... What type of insurance did you have? Do not admit any fault, even to the insurance co, You need to standfast that you had right of way, and that she crossed your path. You were not speeding..

You should go out and picture and measure the skidmarks. You'll need them to prove your position on the road and possibly your speed, should you have to go to court.

hopefully you had an appraisal, and agreed upon value insurance policy, otherwise they're going to try to give you just plain book value. which as you know is quite low for a 30+ year old car. You may need to trailer your car to an antique/custom auto appraiser, and have him note what items were upgraded and to note restored/prefect condition items you may have had such as the engine and dash. Some appraisers won't touch a wreaked car. the idea here being that you are trying to establish actual replacement value. You may need to find examples off Ebay or local listings for cars in similar restored condition to help prove this point. Your Local Z club can help a lot here.

Lastly once they make you an offer for settlement that matches your estimate, you should then knock say $200 off that to buy your old car back, unless they outline that already, but remember everything is negotiatable. The insurance guys are professional hagglers so hopefully you'll get off easy. that was you'll be able to salvage or at the least move your good parts to a "new" body.

Sorry that happened...

Phar

Whatever happens, do whatever you can to get the car back. I still regret not fighting for my F150 when it was totaled last year. I had probably 3,000$ in wheels/tires/accessories I could have re-couped from it, but I never even tried to get it back. The wrecking yard was nice enough to let me clean out the truck, but that's not good enough.

yeah im gonna get it back for sure..or at least try. but i really dont know whats going on as far as a new car. i have a nice straight body 77 280z in my back yard that i wouldnt want to cut up for parts if i need them..and idk if id want to deal with a restoration if i get money. and a have a 94 300zxTT that i was workin on for my daily. i guess ill get that running like planed and decided to either restore my 77 or fix my 76 with other parts or just get a new z thats already well off. ..maybe turbo swapped already with a stright body or somethin..who know. ...as long as i dont get screwed and get no money at all, somethin will work out.