HybridZ

Datsun vs Toyota @ Bathurst - Australia's most infamous Raceway

Whittie

Last year the old man and I took my 260z over to the other side of the country to compete in Regularity at New South Wales' Mt Panorama Raceway in Bathurst. The track is over 6km long winding up, down and around Mt Panorama with a 1.6km downhill straight and a similarly long uphill run. Over the years the track has become known as the most dangerous in Australia with many, even several in recent years, losing their lifes on the trecherous run across the mountain.

The particular event we compete in is held at easter time and we compete in regularity. We had so much fun that we decided to go back this year. I, however, became snowed under with final year chemical engineering assignments and tests so i was unable to go this year. Therefore, Dad decided to take his car, a Jap Spec 1993 Toyota Supra TT, to compete in.

Here is 1.5 laps comparing in car footage from the two cars.

From the video description:

Taking footage from 2008 and 2009

Dad vs Son

1977 vs 1993

Datsun vs Toyota

Japan vs Japan

Classic vs Classic

180 hp vs 330 hp

1.5 laps on over 6km of Australia's greatest Racetrack comes the ultimate challenge. Who will win. The Datsun with its 300 kg weight advantage, along with semi-slick race tyres has it around the bendy bits, whilst the extra 150hp of the Toyota lends it weight up and down the straights.

The ultimate showdown. 1977 Datsun 260z driven by son Tom, 1993 Toyota Supra mk.4 driven by Dad John.

It had to come to this

Dadson Racing Showdown - Dad vs Son - Toyota vs Datsun

In defense of the Supra, it should be noted that this is a standard supra, Aero top, Auto, Big Brake package, high flow intercooler (no front mount), big exhaust, on road tyres, whilst the Z is a streetable race car with big brakes, race suspension and semi-slicks.

If someone could teach me how to embed the video properly, that would be great :)

Guest Chrus

Well put together video mate. Must be great racing against the old man! As for Bathurst - Im aiming to get there by the end of the year or maybe go and watch the 12 hour race next year (even though its an EVO parade) :mrgreen:

Cheers Chrus :)

Yeah it is really good doing this with dad, and not just for financial support :P

I would love to go watch a 12 hour there! but you're right, quite a few evo's.

Richard: Oooooh.... tough one! That really depends. If you can, i would say do both and make your own mind up about which you would rather do again :P

Philip Island flows a lot better. It's a world leading race track design and it really shows. it's got fast corners, slow corners, banked corners, long straights, the works.

Whilst Bathurst has all this too, it's more just a stretch of public road that happens to be a really tricky race track. The lack of run-off at bathurst always means you're not quite going 100% and you gotta be aware that EVERY corner on the mountain is blind, often off camber.

For adrenelin, Bathurst. For flowing, proper racetrack, PI.

Personally if i had to choose ONE track to do again, I would probably do PI, but i prefer the technical side to the track a little more than others i think. And the extra safety of large gravel traps helps the nerves and confidence a bit too.

My Youtube account has in car vids from PI on it too if you want to have a look.

Yeh its a testing circuit. If you don't have good aero then with a powerful car it can become airborne over the crest halfway down Conrod Straight, further on into Caltex Chase, do you keep the boot into it or back off. There have been some spectacular crashes there plus some brilliant passing moves.

Whittie if I went there it would be for the FOSC Easter races but the format of big fields with the fast cars at the back is a bit dicey, particularly with amateur drivers. With PI the traffic is not as dense so you have less concern about other drivers.

I'm a bit protective of my car, from the windscreen back no panels available in AU.

Armand, too right!!!

I almost hit the VB wall in the dipper (massive drop left hander, green walls) in the wet. Going super slow but it just wouldnt turn! Scary. Hence why I never do 100% around there, cause then you would have a concrete barrier for a passenger if you run in to any trouble.

Richard,

Come on, no backing off!!!! :P Na, it's a very scary corner the first many laps through it. I tend to drop down to about 200 kph through it from about 230 i was getting leading up to it. As you can see in the vid, this leaves a lot of room on the outside of the corner but it's off the line that most people use so it's VERY slippery and would make it interesting to get back on line and slow down for the next corner.

If you do regularity at bathurst i would not worry at all about field size. 60 cars on the track is a lot, but it is 6.something k's long and everyone there is very good when it comes to letting the faster guys through. So long as you're not silly and driving under people as if you were all out racing then you will be fine. The race groups though.... I wouldn't be so keen to run with them, thats for sure :P