HybridZ

My l28et conversion journey

adamhoud

After searching and reading for almost 2 months now, I am getting parts together for the swap. I have a donor 83zxt complete that I drove home for $200 that I plan to swap into my 73z.

I am going to basically type up my plan as it stands to hopefully get input and feedback...I found some questions hard to find a clear answer for even after searching all day.

Will be using the R200, driveshaft(which needs to be shortened apparently), BW T5, and actually a different rebuilt l28et other than what the car came with. COULD use input on mounts/modifications to make tranny fit.

I am still uncertain what to do about the turbo, the donor car has 200K miles on it and I'm not sure if the turbo has been rebuilt....Who would be the best place to get a t3/4 hybrid from?

I am sourcing an N42 non-egr intake/60mm tb(which one to get?) and will be using a pallnet 11mm fuel rail with supra 440's. STILL unsure what to do about a fuel tank??? I will be running megasquirt, don't want to even bother with stock efi...I need advice on which MS components to get though?

I will be running a 2.5" or 3" DP going through a full 3" custom mandrel bent with turbo style muffler. Does anyone make prefabricated downpipes?

I need advice for an intercooler kit/plumbing and where to buy.

Random MISC stuff: what else should be moved over...oil cooler? starter is dying in turbo donor...can I use 240z starter? Use radiator out of turbo or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance for any help I may get!

IMG_0017 (Large)_thumb.jpg

I know very well how to search, just thought some people wouldn't mind providing direct input. This forum is simply cluttered with "how do i" or "what about this" posts with no answers or posts after...getting to the actual answer post is nearly impossible.

MotorSportAuto sells downpipes. But you knew that from searching.

Id keep the oil cooler just incase. Probably dont need it in the beginning...but Im sure if you keep wanting more power youre going to need it eventually! Better safe then sorry:)

What do you mean about the fuel tank?

The t3/t4 question...look on here in the for sale area, youll eventually find it lol.

Find some members that have done everything youre lookin at doing(specific year car doesnt matter for most of your questions)and read their posts. This will probably help you out with IC & plumbing, MS components/install. Just my 2 cents...

Jeremy

I'm parting my 76 turbo Z, it has the correct fuel tank for the conversion if you're interested and I think I can ship it if I let it dry out for a good few weeks After pulling it. I also have a Scottie stainless DP with an extra O2 bung welded on for a wideband sensor installation. Email me pallnet@hotmail.com, please don't be upset if I don't email you back the same day as you email me, I'm kinda in and out at times.

Thanks

pallnet

as stated before, the search will answer most of the questions you have.. a few upgrades i've done myself would be the oil cooler from a late 80's benz .. also the turbo from a 84-85 300zx will work on your motor if you reclock it.

you will also require the gas tank from a 260/280 z. ck the listing from pallnet .

I'm not sure how good an idea it is, but if you look on eBay, you can find a T3/T4 for like $120.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4-T04E-Turbocharger-63-A-R-Turbo-Jdm-Civic-VW-Golf_W0QQitemZ280342032348QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4145afefdc&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

We're "blessed" with the fact that the T3/T4 is a ricer's dream part. How they expect their teensy engines to spool the hybrid continues to mystify me, but... they're all over eBay. They try and get you on the shipping obviously, and... well... I'm a little leery of anyone trying to sell me a turbo for $120.

Also... If you don't need the engine from that car... Perhaps I can help take it off your hands? :D I'm also in the Bay Area, and I have access to an enormous truck. I also haven't yet spent all my money on Z parts! (Though not for lack of trying)

Man, I just remembered. If you need a driveshaft to be... well, if you need it anything, and you're in the Bay Area, I highly highly highly recommend South Bay Driveline, kinda near the San Jose airport. I remember I took my driveshafts in, intending to come back with one, and I set them down on the counter. Guy looks up goes "Oh, Nissan! What can I do for you?" I was really impressed. The whole process cost me about $145, and I think you'd see something similar. He didn't explain everything he was going to do, but he sure did it all. Perfect welds, rebalanced, repainted, surface rust removed, etc.

It was very pretty.

How come no one has done a write up on this? Isn't this the most popular swap for a L series engine? Just wondering out loud

+5000000 lol i have everything needed ( i think ) for a swap. but then again i wouldnt know since i cant find a HOW TO a write up of the stock -> stock swap. just running everything stock onto the 240z. once made i think peole would a preshiate it if it was STICKY'ed out. and im sure i speak for many people wanting or planning in the future doing an l28et swap

How come no one has done a write up on this? Isn't this the most popular swap for a L series engine? Just wondering out loud

I'm picking up my donor car at the first of the month and will be doing the same turbo/T5 conversion. Perhaps it we all pool our experience we can come up with a definitive swap writeup. Several people have writeups on aspects of this, and I know of at least two that are currently doing the swap.

Yes a writeup would be good, something interesting I found so far is that you can use a 280zx automatic driveshaft with the zxt r200 and a t5 and not need to cut it. Also, there are no premade 3" downpipes, they will have to be done custom. MSA does sell a 2.5" DP however.

Yes a writeup would be good, something interesting I found so far is that you can use a 280zx automatic driveshaft with the zxt r200 and a t5 and not need to cut it. Also, there are no premade 3" downpipes, they will have to be done custom. MSA does sell a 2.5" DP however.

That is very interesting indeed, I thought for sure I was going to have someone custom make a driveshaft. How long have you been running this?