HybridZ

Help Installing my Dash Cap . .

New-to-240z

Hey guys,

I'm finally going to be putting on my dash cap and wanted to know if anyone had the time to help me out with putting it on. I live in Orange,CA and have a garage to work on it in. I can get some pizza and a few beers to whoever can help. I find things always go smoother with pizza and beers :icon44:

@TheLoveofJDM : HAHA, well thanx for the offer.

@Titus : Hey, southwest airlines is doing their $49 deal right now!! You never know man!

@Datsun723 : Are u being serious? Cause u live in temecula! :) If you're down I'm down!

If this ever does happen, I'll be sure to add some pics up and kinda write a how-to. Should be too much work . . . I'm hoping!

I'm prob looking to do this sometime next week or the week after that. It'll be on a sat so if something comes up, we have the time to work on it. I actually live in Mission Viejo, but My family lives in orange and I am always welcome to borrow the garage for a day. I'll let you know what's up when I get the chance.

I'm prob looking to do this sometime next week or the week after that. It'll be on a sat so if something comes up, we have the time to work on it. I actually live in Mission Viejo, but My family lives in orange and I am always welcome to borrow the garage for a day. I'll let you know what's up when I get the chance.

Alrighty. I'm back down in Temecula from the 22-29 but after that I'm back in Orange and I have some other car oriented friends that I'm sure wouldn't mind helping as well. Just pm me when you want to do this and I'm down.

is it really that difficult?

Test fit dash cap, do minor trim with sandpaper or scissors if needed

Clean original dash from dirt and oil

Apply adhesive

Apply dash cap

Put some books or heavy weights on the dash till the adhesive dries

problem solved

It isn't a big deal, but having an extra pair of hands will really help out. Plus, I was hoping that someone had been through this before and could just offer advice. :icon45:

But, it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Plus, its always fun to get together with people who love these cars. I've found the owners of Z's are almost always people I can relate to, and enjoy hanging out with. :icon44:

OOooOOooHHHhh, this is going to look soo nice after I install the new seats and the Momo steering wheel! This car is getting sexier and sexier!

Alrighty. I'm back down in Temecula from the 22-29 but after that I'm back in Orange and I have some other car oriented friends that I'm sure wouldn't mind helping as well. Just pm me when you want to do this and I'm down.

Will do. I'm going to try doing all the pre-work myself on my off days/free time. My dash is pretty bad, it has about 4 cracks that are almost 3 inches long and about half an inch wide!!! I hate the sun out here in CA:evil:, but I love the fact that my car has ALMOST NO RUST!!

I didn't use the supplied glue for my install, I got a box of velcro from Home depot and used that to mount my dash. I just cut up the strips a little smaller and stuck it on. It still is holding 4 years later. I razored off the high edges of the cracked dash and cleaned everything up before the install. Plus if i had to take it off I just need to clean the old velcro glue off and add new velcro.

Just a tip if you wanted to mount the cap another way

I didn't use the supplied glue for my install, I got a box of velcro from Home depot and used that to mount my dash. I just cut up the strips a little smaller and stuck it on. It still is holding 4 years later. I razored off the high edges of the cracked dash and cleaned everything up before the install. Plus if i had to take it off I just need to clean the old velcro glue off and add new velcro.

Just a tip if you wanted to mount the cap another way

Thanx for the heads up. I'm sure that will be a direction I may go. I just found out tho that my dash is a 72 and not a 73!@!@ So I have to go and pickup a replacement dash cap now :(

• 6 months later...

Yes sir I did.

I got some clipers from home depot, and during the hot months, I left them on the dash with the glove box open and it formed pretty well to my dash. I will say . . . not perfectly, as there are gaps here and there. But for the most part it turned out allright.

I haven't glued anything down yet, as I am still up in the air on what I am planning on doing. I'm getting my car painted soon, and putting in some Evo 8 seats as well. So, I'm just making sure I'm not going further and replacing the entire dash as well.