HybridZ

83 Non turbo starting issue

Sooo, the past while, my car has required a a couple turns of the key to start, and last night she officiall sh*t the bed.

As for symptoms, there's no click from the starter, and the stock voltage gauge actually reads higher when I go to start it.

So far I've jumped the starter/solonoid and they work fine. I tested the wire going to the solonoid (short blade on the starter), and didn't see any voltage.

I heard a faint click from under the dash, so we pulled the glove box and found the relay responsible for the noise. We pulled it and it tested good.

Now I'm not sure if that relay was even starter related, but the fact that it clicks when the ignition is turned means that the ignition would be good correct?

Sooooo, I can only assume that there's something between the ignition switch and the starter that's gone.

I'll update as I pick away at the car.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Alright, so after finding a good wiring diagram on autozone.com, my roomate (electrical master) was able to diagnose it as a crappy ignition switch (by hotwiring the car).

So now comes the task of sourcing a new ignition switch. Does anyone know if the lock cylinder can be transferred over from my existing ignition to a new/used one, so that I can keep my key, or not pay to have a new key made?

just buy new ignition switch. any competent locksmith can rekey the ignition to your old key OR rekey the doors and hatch to the new ignition key OR live with two keys. not rocket science that. download the fsm from xenon. Do you know how to use google (or the search engine on this site) to search for stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

Well as an update, I wired a 5 dollar momentary button straight to the starter, as the ignition cylinder still fires up the ignition/fuel system, just the starter contacts seem worn out.

I picked up a relay so that it will only crank when the key is in the "on" position, but I've yet to install it. The start button is on the column where the headlight washer button was. Pretty trick actually.