HybridZ

Car Trailer Question: Helper Springs or Weight Distributing Hitch (Equalizer Hitch)

JSM

I just bought a car trailer, but my Nissan 4 cyl Truck is not as stout as I would like in the suspension. The empty car trailer is barely there when I tow it. It only weighs in at 750 lbs and pulls great up to 75 mph.

With a 280zxt on the trailer and what appears to be the correct position of the car on the trailer, the rear of my truck squats to much in my opinion.

Now I've towed a variety of Z's at least 10 times w/a tow dolly from Uhaul that weighs in at 650 per there site and have had zero problems, but the weight distribution is much different w/this trailer. And the trailer itself has a very low center of gravity.

Is it better to reduce tongue weight w/ the use of helper springs added to the leaf springs or w/ a weight distribution hitch like below? Other thoughts?

Is there another name for helper springs??

Equalize1.jpg

You are loading too much tounge weight. I have pulled probally 500 differant s30s, s130s, z31s and z32s all over TX with my 5spd 4cyl 91 toyota P/U. I just have an add-a-leaf. You put too much tounge weight on these trucks and will find you have ZERO brakes. When you load the truck basically measure the hitch height before and after you load and the hitch should not drop more than maybe 2". Also run the rear tires and the trailer tires at there MAX psi. this will keep the side wall stiff and the load will be more predictable.

If you still want to stiffen the rear of the truck air shocks are just about the best way to go. About $60 each from most auto part stores and much easier to install. Plus you can lower the air preasure in the shock when there is no load so you can keep a civil ride.

if you load the trailer with the the car at the back the trailer will jackknife if you have to panic stop the truck.tongue weight should be 10% of total trailer weight.safest setup is a weight distributing hitch and a trailer with brakes.take a look at travel trailers with load leveling bars hooked up.the trailer with the car on it might weigh more than the truck.best set up for helper springs are air bags-you can change the pressure and not have a bouncing unloaded truck.when i waas in high school my grand father sent me to get a borrowed backhoe with a rental car trailer.i was towiing with a 1/2 ton 4x2 pick up.a traffic light changed and i tried to stop for it.the trailer lifted the rear of the truck off of the ground-i decided to get off the brakes and blow the light.i used lots of side roads and kept the speed down to 25 mph.a friend of mine lost a car off of a trailer when it went into a shimmy at speed because the tongue was too light.best bet is a 3/4 ton truck-but if you rig the nissan correctly it will work.

A weight distributing or equalizing hitch is a good idea. Also, as suggested above, make sure you're loading the car on the trailer correctly. If the car and trailer combined are 3,500 lbs. you need at least 350 lbs on the trailer tongue with the trailer sitting level.

I frequently tow my 18ft. trailer with my astro van. I sometimes pick up police cars boght at auctions for a pall and deliver them to a taxi co.. Not using a weight distributing hitch. Trailer has brakes and I level the ride hight of the trailer and van by moving the car back and forth till there both level. I also have helper springs and better than stock tires. Set tire psi. at 50 for trailer and 40 for van. As long as I stay below 65 or 70 its usually no problem.

I just realized tonight looking after looking at the trailer, a WDH will not work due to the design of the trailer. I'm going to have to use helper springs until I can change some things around. Rats, I found one for $80 on craigslist too!

• 4 weeks later...

jc052685 (Jeff) is 110% right, I've been with him for many towing trips and you want to do EXACTLY what he suggested. ESPECIALLY if your towing vehicle is small.

Another option to consider is load adjusting shocks - see pics. I have about 50 pairs left in stock and they do fit your Nissan Pickup. PM me for more details if you like, I will get you those shocks for less than $70 per pair, SHIPPED.

=)

-Igor

Load_Adjust_Shocks_thumb.JPG

Load_Adjust_Shocks2_thumb.JPG