HybridZ

making new frame rails

bodie

here a couple of pic of my frame rails im building for my 73 240. im using 2x3 tubing with .125 wall, it might be over kill but i want this car stiff. yea some of welds dont look good but i got good penetration and its a pain to weld on your back. i also plan on connecting the frame rail with sheet metal to the sill.

DSC00238_thumb.JPG

DSC00239_thumb.JPG

DSC00237_thumb.JPG

DSC00241_thumb.JPG

I used the same 2x3 .125 wall as that was the thinest I could find. But I noticed that you brought them flush with the floor pans. I had mine up about 3/4" in the floor. I like your idea better.

Nice work ...

When I did mine I raised the floor about 1", the original frame rails were about 10mm deep from memory and the new frame rails were 70x35x2mm, so 25mm deeper!

Instead of having the your feet whacking into the frame rails or having them 25mm lower and thus, lose 25mm worth of ground clearance I just decided to raise the floor an 1", there is plenty of scope for this with the seat mounts so you can retain adequate head clearance!

Kbhead - Having them inside the interior adds strength to the uni-body. Doing so takes more time and money, but with your expected HP/torque output it was a good move on your part.

The frame rails we sell are a hybrid of the OEM style with flanges to make up for not cutting into the floor. The boxed tubing coming up through the floors is not for everyone but it is stronger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well i spent about 4 weekends building the rails and floor pan, im currently cleaning some of the welds and getting ready for paint and seam seal.

alot of the weld i used weld tru primer so it look like i didnt prep, its just the primer it make burn marks.

Looking good!

I cheated; I paid someone to do mine.....

Thats a good idea. I was thinking of doing the same because i have very little experience fabricating, but i am a certified welder. Ball park how much was it for someone else to do it for you?

Isn't 3x2" by 0.125 getting to be just a touch to big?

The original Z chassis rails are a hat design, which hang down about 10mm and are approximately 65mm wide with a 1.25mm sidewall,

Unless you place the tubing far above the original flan pan line you would be removing a fair amount of ground clearance using stuff that is 50mm tall, plus with a sidewall over 3mm that stuff is pretty heavy duty!

yea it pretty heave but it the next size up from .080 and the original frame rail are weak and be dented easily.

yea i do lose a little bit of ground clearance but its gonna be the same level as the exhaust and if they scrap it wont be a big deal cause not like it gonna do any damage to the frame.

I basically raised my floor pans up 25mm to accomodate the bigger chassis rails that I ran, but I have to worry about ground clearance when I take the car over rego, to low and they won't pass my car!

yea it pretty heave but it the next size up from .080 and the original frame rail are weak and be dented easily.

yea i do lose a little bit of ground clearance but its gonna be the same level as the exhaust and if they scrap it wont be a big deal cause not like it gonna do any damage to the frame.

Yes, the original frame rails sucked :-)

My new ones are a lot better, before I stuck the car on jack stands and the old chassis rails bowed in, now can literally bounce the car on the new chassis rails and dosen't even come close to making a dent :-)!