HybridZ

Which Rims For ZG Flare Cars???

Hello All,

My 73' 240z project is nearing completion, the ZG flares look fantastic. My question is this: To all that have the ZG flares installed, which wheels are you running? I would prefer not to use spacers. I am looking to run 17" rims, if you could provide a source, website, brand, or anything that will help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

3 Kinds I love on the Z's the Panasport's, the Watanabi rewinds, and the Sportmax 002's all 3 fit w/ 0 offset. but you might need spacers if you go wider than say 215's unless you're running coilovers. I ended up getting a deal on my sportmax 002 16" so that's what I'm going to run. and likely only 215's since I think that's all that will fit w/o rolling or flaring my fenders. I'm thinking Dunlops, they have been great on my wife's Eclipse GST.

Phar

3 Kinds I love on the Z's the Panasport's, the Watanabi rewinds, and the Sportmax 002's all 3 fit w/ 0 offset. but you might need spacers if you go wider than say 215's unless you're running coilovers. I ended up getting a deal on my sportmax 002 16" so that's what I'm going to run. and likely only 215's since I think that's all that will fit w/o rolling or flaring my fenders. I'm thinking Dunlops, they have been great on my wife's Eclipse GST.

Phar

Of course, since he wants to fill his ZG flares, he'll need spacers with those 0 offset wheels. Big-phil is running sportmax 002's (16x8, 0 offset) and bought 1.5" spacers on all four corners to fill his ZG flares, if I remember correctly. I'll probably be doing the same with 16x8" XXR 513's in the near future to fill out my flares. Unfortunately, none of these wheels come in sizes higher than 16", methinks, even Watanabes.

The closest thing I can think of are Rota RBs, but I forget their offset measurements. I've also heard plenty of bad things about Rotas though, so I'm not touching those with a 10ft pole (says the guy who's looking to buy another cheepo-wheel brand :icon56:). Honestly if I were you, I'd go with 16" wheels. There's more choices, and really 17" just seems like too much wheel, not enough rubber for a Z. Look at 240hoke's Z, he's running a staggered set of Watanabe's and they look great. 16x9 -13, 16x9.5 -19 if I remember right. No spacers needed, but he is running coilovers.

But for Wats, you're looking at dropping around to 2.5-3 grand when all is said and done. Something I WISH I could do!!

Front: 17x9 -13mm

Rear: 17x9.5 -20mm or 17x9.0 -26mm

These dimensions seem to flush out ZG flares well. And a 0.5"(F) spacer and 1.0"® spacer would flush the neutral offset wheels if you can't find these dimensions. Clearance also dictates full-width tires not necessitating stretches.

Although, in agreeing with Oddmanout84, I'm more partial towards 16" wheels with the above offsets for ZG flares. The only drawback is a smaller tire selection.

Front: 17x9 -13mm

Rear: 17x9.5 -20mm or 17x9.0 -26mm

These dimensions seem to flush out ZG flares well. And a 0.5"(F) spacer and 1.0"® spacer would flush the neutral offset wheels if you can't find these dimensions. Clearance also dictates full-width tires not necessitating stretches.

Although, in agreeing with Oddmanout84, I'm more partial towards 16" wheels with the above offsets for ZG flares. The only drawback is a smaller tire selection.

I've always liked my Dunlops. very sticky, lasts long time in NM heat.

Oh and the SportMax's are nice because you can use them with either 4 or 5 lug hubs, so if I swap to 5 lug, I won't have to buy new Wheels.

Edited by Pharaohabq
sportmax comment

The closest thing I can think of are Rota RBs, but I forget their offset measurements. I've also heard plenty of bad things about Rotas though, so I'm not touching those with a 10ft pole.

So what are you basing this on? Do you have any proof or is it just hearsay? How do you know they're any worse than any other wheel?

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I'm not advocating or hating on Rota's but these pictures of failed Rota's on Honda Tech and other forums have created a questionable reputation of their quality control. Albeit different circumstances precipitated these accidents, they have happened to owners on an irregular basis. IMHO you can't have exceedingly high expectations from these cast wheels within their low price bracket. Threads here and here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=200&stc=1

img0193ir0.jpg

I purchased my wheels from overseas, from Image wheels located in great britian

these wheels where made to my own specs and offset, the only downside is that there is a 8 week turnaround period to receive the wheels, but he has many designs, just look up image wheels the owners name is harry, and he is a real nice guy and will assist you on the proper offset. im running 17x8" front and 17x11" 1/2 in the rears, front has a 0 deg offset

the rear i have 6" of lip and a 5" backspace and I donot need any spacers.

DATSUN 240Z RACE ENGINE 041_thumb.jpg

DATSUN 240Z RACE ENGINE 046_thumb.jpg

DATSUN 240Z RACE ENGINE 055_thumb.jpg

I purchased my wheels from overseas, from Image wheels located in great britian

these wheels where made to my own specs and offset, the only downside is that there is a 8 week turnaround period to receive the wheels, but he has many designs, just look up image wheels the owners name is harry, and he is a real nice guy and will assist you on the proper offset. im running 17x8" front and 17x11" 1/2 in the rears, front has a 0 deg offset

the rear i have 6" of lip and a 5" backspace and I donot need any spacers.

and the price of these custom made wheels???

personally i am going with the Watanabe's - yes they are quite expensive but to me the wheels make the car, and im willing to drop that kind of cash on cast wheels.

Since my research has begun in earnest, To spend $500.00 per wheel is pretty much average. You can buy less expensive wheels, but as for myself I am a perfectionist, and I totally agree that the wheels make the car. I do not have unlimited cash flow for this project, yet I realize that the wrong wheels will detract from the overall appearance of the car, and I cannot afford that!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just to keep things updated, since my first inquiry about rims I have completely changed the entire Suspension and Brakes, converting to Coil overs, all new Energy Suspension, Five Lug and Disk Brakes. I now sit at 5x4.5, and the search have begun a new. By the way, what a pain to replace the rear control arm bushings.

I'd suggest diamond wheels, 15 by whatever-you-want will be < $100 per wheel, they're solid, serious wheels, and you essentially get to ask for whatever bolt pattern you'd like ($10 extra if they don't offer 4x114.3 for that wheel type). I suggest the Wide-5 series (http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/pro.html), they show up powdercoated at your door and ready to run, and are a bit lighter (18lbs) than standard PRO series (22lbs).

If you want wider than 10", go for the Challenger wheels, in 14" and 15" diameter. http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/challenger.html

Just my .02, I'm not exactly the most cosmetically-minded z person out here. These may not be showy, but a 14x12 wheel with proper tires simply demands my respect, and is about as sexy as cars get. I really wish I had a picture of Braaap's old yellow track Z right now. I feel like drooling over it.

hi all... i just bought a 260z 2+2. i am planning to swap a VH or VK45DE into it. mainly for street use and drifting. in addition, plan to bolt on a wide body kit with the rear 3" extra and front 1.5" extra. but i don't know what is the factory spec of it that i can study to put in extra.

what rim size and rim do you think is the best suit and as your ideal one?