HybridZ

Questions regarding which capacitor to use with EDIS6 (Pin #8)

Datsun Deron

Hey Guys,

Im just in the middle of wiring up my edis 6 with the Chrysler coil pack and while wiring pin 8 on the module I noticed that I dont have at 25uF capacitor that goes to ground. I went to my local electronics shop and they laughed at me when I asked for a 25uF cap because apparently it is an "oddball capacitor". I picked up the two closest options at 22 uF at 63 Volts and 33uF at 33 Volts. Will these do the trick or should I go to the wrecking yard and dig for a 25uF Ford one?

Below is the wiring diagram im using from the "Correct wiring" in the "MS useful thread links (look here before searching)" link

edis6ew-1.gif

I did some more digging regarding this and found http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1009800 and found z-ya saying:

"The cap should go from the coil power to ground. It should have a minimum voltage rating of 20V or greater. The + on teh cap must go towards the +12v coil power. I would have a separate circuit for the module and coil pack. A 10A fuse should be sufficient."

From what it sounds like either would work but I'm thinking the 22 uF at 63 Volts would be the better of the two options...

Guest Rolling Parts

Yea, that picture of EDIS-6 you have there is awfully "busy" and some people can mistakenly think that they somehow should "ground out" the power line. I like the one on the Autosport/MegaJolt site because it's CLEAR and BASIC.

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V3_vehicle_installation_guide

The last note on wiring guidelines on that link spells out that "The capacitor sometimes found attached to OEM coil packs can be safely omitted." And yes, I too could not find the cap and I too just went simple (and it works great so far).

Also in the SIMPLE way, you can test it without ever even installing it in the car and not even spin a trigger wheel on a drill. All you do is "play" a .wav file with Windows Media Player and send the output to pins 5&6. Instant VR simulator! http://www.heggs.co.uk/vrssim/wav/index.htm

Thanks a lot Rolling parts the diagram that I have is very busy. I tried to wire as close to that diagram I had and did ground my power cable. I thought it seemed a little odd to have that while I was looking at the diagram but I hadn't heard any complaints so just went with it. Lucky for me I haven't had a chance to wrap things up yet other wise I would have been trying to figure out why it wouldnt start. I went back to the wrecker as I was in the area last week after I did the post and managed to find the ford capacitor. I must say that I'm a little confused as to how it ties in if that isn't supposed to be grounded. Unless perhaps its only supposed to be grounded if I have the cap? Either way I think I'm going to run no ground for now and if there are problems I can always add it later on.

Guest Rolling Parts

Yea, those diagrams are a little confusing; some people could think that they need to "ground the power line" when they see that drawing (which is a bad thing). All you really NEED is key on 12V+ to the coil and to the EDIS module so they will power up.

In MY opinion, the capacitor should not even be shown on the basic wiring diagrams. The capacitor is nothing more than and "extra" just in case the coil discharge makes a little radio noise. You'll see it sometimes on older single coils too (in fact, you can just snag one from any of the billions of old single ignition coils in a junk yard if you really wanted to add one).