HybridZ

Gas tank issue with internal coating

Lazeum

The story:

I had some issue with the gas tank. It has been restored by a radiator shop 4 years ago. The interior has been derusted, coated with resin.

From the day I've owned the car, return and fuel supply lines were worn and were leaking (nozzles were rotating around).

I've soldered the nozzles with silver, it is holding up fine now. However resin inside the tank has burnt out leaving metal out of rust protection.

So Ive decided to be cheap (I know I should not) and seal the tank with garage floor paint supposed to be gas resistant.

Paint is actually chipping inside the tank now.

Result is that I clog the fuel filter I've installed (in addition to the one under the hood + the ones inside my carbs) each time I drive the car.

I've tried to drain the tank to get rid of all the crap inside the tank; it did not change anything... Every time the car moves gas is moving inside the tank and tears down any paint remaining.

Can I apply a new layer of resin (such as the one POR15 supplies) on top of the old one without removing the first layer?

I'm going to try to remove the remaining paint inside the tank but this is not an easy task since it is difficult to access it. Should I try to put a chain inside the tank and shake it to try to remove whatever I could?

What would you recommend?

WOW...you painted the inside of your tank with floor paint! Lesson learned.

Drop the tank, remove all that paint and seal it properly. You may have to take it to a gas tank repair shop and have it boiled out. But whatever you do...dont coat over the current mess with Por15. You will probably have adhesion problems and your problems will continue.

Just a thought.......Paint stripper may work.....test it on a small area to see what happens. If it reacts pour it in and slosh it around, rinse well and then seal it a with proper film.

As dumb as it could sound this was something peeple have done in the past on several cars... FOR SURE, I will not advice this method anymore, what a mess!!!

I guess we learn from our mistake... :D lesson learned then!

I will follow your advice regarding cleaniness of the tank ;)

Thanks for the advice.

wow....

I'd recomend picking up a tack cleaning and sealing kit like the one from eastwood, the cleaners and etchers in combination with a length of cahin, preferably with some nuts an bbolts attached should get rid of any loose bits then you can seal it with a propper tank sealant, but it might be easier to start with a tank a little less fubar

I have had great results in the past by using this companies renew process. It is not cheap by any means' date=' but seems justified for what is included. I'm not to sure if this would be an option for you due to location but for what it's worth heres a link. Good luck either way....

http://www.gastankrenu.com[/quote']

We do have company in Europe making good product as well but it is far from being cheap too... With all the hassle I've been through, I guess some €/$ could have been wisely spent (not talking about the money I've spend so far in the crappy paint, the chain to clean up, the fuel filters, etc...)

Just for the fun of it :D , I took a picture of what came out off the tank after one cycle of shaking (with water + chain) At least as much as what you can see came out of the tank afterwards... What a mess!!!! What a waste of time!

p3105010.jpg

That company mentioned above (gastankrenu) will do an entire gas tank for ~$325-350. Well, that's what they quoted me on the phone, company was in STockton, CA. They've worked on Datsun gas tanks, and even will weld on larger outlets for fuel injection if you wanted to do that.

I think with that price, you can probably get a fuel cell that will fit in the stock location. Or if you want OEM, they'd probably be the way to go.

I don't know why you thought floor paint would be a good idea? Time to get it boiled out properly again... I've used the POR15 gas tank sealer and it has held up just like it is supposed to.

My concern was that 95% of the tank is still protected with good resin...

Regarding my stupid solution, Alfa Romeo club was sharing this "tip".

"If some has some success with this cheap solution why not giving it a try", this was my thought at that time... :redface:

Thanks for your comments ;)

It is really the first real "mistake" I've done to my car. However, I don't take any critics bad. I'm here to share. If this thread can avoid people to repeat this mistake, it is all good!

Dont worry about it Matt....just move on. Ive had many Homer moments to look back upon and laugh at!

Are you refering to your toe??? :mrgreen: (hope you're doing well about it...)

You mean your other mistakes werent "real"....LOL!

Other ones were not as stupid... usual trial and error process with no consequences!

I'm by no mean perfect, just veeeery slow :mrgreen: It takes time to think! (sometimes I should not....)