HybridZ

LF Pics of external gate on stock manifold

I've seen Austin's writeup and I was hoping to get a few more pictures to see if anybody had done anything else different.

In addition - I have a Holset I'll be welding the wastegate shut... Should I fill the hole with a plug and weld that in - or do like most people say and just weld the flapper.

Thanks!

I've seen Austin's writeup and I was hoping to get a few more pictures to see if anybody had done anything else different.

In addition - I have a Holset I'll be welding the wastegate shut... Should I fill the hole with a plug and weld that in - or do like most people say and just weld the flapper.

Thanks!

Just weld the flapper. That's plenty.

Well here is most of Austin's old turbo setup minus his exhaust manifold, (just mere minutes off from scoring that). I had my stock mani bead blasted, decked and 2000 deg silver powder coated after matching the tube to the waistgate, downpipe setup. Here are a few current pics of this setup.

P1010480_thumb.jpg

P1010482_thumb.jpg

P1010485_thumb.jpg

P1010489_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

How difficult was that to weld directly to the manifold? I'm relatively new to welding and have been told its an absolute (very very fun time) to weld cast iron. Until now I've been almost dead set on getting one of those spacer flanges with the wastegate flange built in off of ebay. Only problem is that its about 63mm thick, which will offset the T3/T04 turbo I'll be mounting quite a bit. Since I'm also going to be running the MSA 2.5" downpipe, this might have some clearance issues. So if the difficulty of welding my own flange and wategate pipe into the turbo manifold (like yours and hoke's) is more beneficial, I'd like to know... :-|

Ah. Cast steel.

Just about everyone I've asked in the past told me it was cast iron, so that's what I was going off of, and didn't feel the need to question it until now. That being said though, the reasons I was told not to try and weld cast iron were because of the high temps involved, etc. But for welding cast IN GENERAL, the biggest thing I was told to look out for was that the small bubbles formed during the casting process can interfere with the welding process. Like I said, I'm not an expert, I just started out the other day. Would it be wise for me to try and tackle welding a cast manifold, after just practicing on a few pieces of 16 gauge steel?

I suppose that I do have three lives (manifolds) left, just in case I screw up the first one, but that's besides the point. :lol:

Ah. Cast steel.

Just about everyone I've asked in the past told me it was cast iron, so that's what I was going off of, and didn't feel the need to question it until now. That being said though, the reasons I was told not to try and weld cast iron were because of the high temps involved, etc. But for welding cast IN GENERAL, the biggest thing I was told to look out for was that the small bubbles formed during the casting process can interfere with the welding process. Like I said, I'm not an expert, I just started out the other day. Would it be wise for me to try and tackle welding a cast manifold, after just practicing on a few pieces of 16 gauge steel?

I suppose that I do have three lives (manifolds) left, just in case I screw up the first one, but that's besides the point. :lol:

Im new at welding as well. So I got a friend to help me with that part. He has several years under his belt. What we did was take a torch and heat the manifold up around the section being welded. We heated it til it was just starting to glow.. then welded the first pipe in. So far so good.. It's holding great! Good luck with it and if you have someone to either look over you welding it or show the right way, I think that would be the ticket.