HybridZ

Basic Alignment Issue

Hi,

My car has an odd problem in that when one wheel is pointed straight the other wheel is off center (turned in slightly). I've checked the number of threads showing on the rack on both sides which appear to be the same as well as the number of threads showing on both radius rods.

What could cause the wheels to be so noticeably off center?

I'm concerned that the car might have had a front end collision of some kind although both frame rails look extremely straight.

thanks

Brian

Considering you have toe-in, I'd check the condition of the steering knuckle arm which connects the outer tie rods to the strut assembly. That component besides the tie-rods and control arm could affect the static toe if not straight.

rooster287: Have the front Lower Control Arms (LCA) ball joints checked for undue wear. Put the car on the hoist and twist the wheel inward and outward top and bottom respectively and also twist the wheel laterally to check for steering rack and tie rod end slop. This is a two man job, one to apply the twisting force and the other experienced person to watch for slop in ball joints, rack and tie rod ends. Once all of these are fairly tight (not sloppy) then align caster, camber and toe-in. Sloppyness usually occurs from the steering coupler doughnut, Tension/Compression rubber doughnuts and rubber mounts for the steering rack. Replace all these and whatever is sloppy in the steering/suspension and with a proper front end alignment it will steer as straight as an arrow flies.

thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes, the tires are wearing improperly at the center of the car. The current suspension doesn't appear to have been changed for a LONG time.

I can't tell if the steering knuckles are messed up or not as they are still in the car - at least they aren't noticably bent.

I haven't checked the play on the lower control arm ball joints but i'm sure they should be replaced at some point.

I did order a new energy suspension bushing kit last night and i'll look into the ball joints today.

One issue with the car is the front cross member is tweaked somewhat (bent up in a few places). not sure if this was from a collision or a bottle jack used to hoist up the car with a v8. I have a used straight crossmember which will be it's replacement.

I think what I'm going to do is drop the entire front end and disassemble it. i'll then rebuild it with the urethane parts on the new cross member.

Again, my concern is spending a ton of time on the front end to find that it's bent at the frame rails. If the frame rails look straight could they still be bent somehow from a collision?

Before you get too far,a quick check of the body dimensions would be in order. I know they are posted on the site as a sticky. The factory drawings show most relevant dimensions but are missing one that is somewhat important. The wheel length measurement from the lower front ball joint grease nipple to a location point just forward of the rear suspension .

This dimension will confirm that both sides share the same wheel length as well as are square to the other wheel and structure. Since there is no adjustment on the stock tc rods many neglect to check this measurement. It will tell you if the TC bushings are worn , Tc rod washers are dished , Tc rod mounting is straight, Tc rod is good, lower control arm is straight , ball joint isnt bent. Many times visual inspections dont always find everything.