HybridZ

one black spark plug five white!

honda_killer

to start off with i have a 1984 300zx turbo running megasquirt 2 extra 3.0. i have been running megasquirt for about a week now with a miss (ignition) i believe. the miss is in the rpm range of 1500 to 2500. so today i pulled my plugs and found one wet black plug and five white plugs. determined to find this miss i have done a compression check, swapped injectors around, checked the plug wire resistance also the cap. i ohmed out the injectors and the wiring to MegaSquirt. everything i have checked looks good. any advice would be helpful thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

Old injectors or new ones? just because everything ohms out doesn't mean the injector is mechanicaly sound. When I first got my 280Z it ran really rough. The injectors more or less dribbled instead of atomizing the fuel. Just food for thought.

Guest Rolling Parts

I'd start by fixing the over-lean condition first. Lean and turbo is not a great thing to have together. The one black plug and miss could be as simple as having one bad spark plug. You can move the plugs around and see if the condition follows the plug...

Since you have MS, you are running batch ignition and waste fire, no? It has to be the engine itself if you swapped plugs and swapped injectors and it stayed at the same hole. Did you swap plug wires as well? Maybe a dopey wire?

Rolling parts: The car most likely does not have a lean condition. He is probably tuning with a wideband that is reading all cyclinders. The one rich cylinder's exhaust mixes with the lean ones to average out to stoich according to the sensor. Once the one cylinder starts burning it's mix like it should, he will show lean and know how much to enrich the tune to adjust. I'm sure he knows not to boost while it's behaving in such a way.

the only reason i feel that this is a problem with megasquirt. is because the only thing i have done is pulled the motor out, painted and resealed. the motor ran with no problems for about two years till megasquirt and injectors. today im going to try going back to the stock ecu, wiring, and injectors. and yes i did change wires

Guest Rolling Parts

It's NOT megasquirt causing a problem in the single cylinder since it's batch fired injection. Since you've only run MS for a week, you need to tune it by enriching the fuel map. The engine is telling you it's LEAN so do whatever it takes to fix that real situation in the engine. Since Megasquirt is 100 times better at adjustability than the 1984 "electronics" are then I don't see why you'd want to yank it out at this time. Use the MS adjustability, that's the only strong point of installing a programmable ECU in the first place.

You have a first year 300ZX V6 turbo engine and one cylinder is not like the others. You've tested compression and swapped out injectors, plugs, plug wires and confirmed spark. If spark and compression are perfect, then your 1984 oil control ring on that one piston might be the first one to let go. You probably just never noticed it before since the old engine controls were so coarse and just masked the problem. Now that you are running so lean across the board you can actually see the one bad cylinder on the plugs?

the only reason i feel that this is a problem with megasquirt. is because the only thing i have done is pulled the motor out, painted and resealed. the motor ran with no problems for about two years till megasquirt and injectors. today im going to try going back to the stock ecu, wiring, and injectors. and yes i did change wires

Listen to what we're saying, though. The MS doesn't control a cylinder individually in any aspect. It could be your wiring/wires/plugs/injectors or the cylinder itself. MS is practically incapable of fouling up a single cylinder on a 6-cyl install. Nothing is sequential.