HybridZ

280zxt cv axle assembly question

deja

CV sanity check. I am replacing the boots on my 280zxt CV axels. My question is about the stub axels. I took both axles apart at the same time and am pretty sure I kept the axels and stub axels together. Yeah, I should have marked them. But before I install the inner boots I want to be positive I have the right stubs with the right axles. Am I correct that the longer stub goes with the longer axle?

I've done it but don't remember. You can put them together without the boots and check. I did have to do that because I did the same thing you just did.

That might work if I hadn't already pressed the bearings back on and stacked them. So the boots are already in position. Standing them up on end and setting the stubs on top it looks like the long goes with the long. It makes the long one about 1/2"-1" longer. If I switch the stubs the long one is now only about 1/4" longer. I also might add these are spare axels, the leaking ones (temp fixed) are still one the car.