HybridZ

260z crank in a 240z engine?

eozevilo

Morning folks. I am new to Datsuns and need some tech advice. I plan on rebuilding a 2.4 engine this year. I have both a 240 and a 260 engine to choose parts from. I understand the 260 crank is a longer throw by 5.3 and the 240 piston rods are longer by 2.8. Can I use the 260 crank with the 240 pistons for higher compression and volume or will it interfere with the valves in the head? Should I use the 240 head or the 260?

I am a newbie at this so excuse me if these are obvious answers to you more experienced tinkerers out there.

You need to use the search function dude. This information is more than readily available and being new doesn't exempt you from being torched.

The answer is, the 260 crank is the same as a 280. To go from 2.4 to 2.6 they stroked it and from 2.6 to 2.8 they bored it.

Use:

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/calcs/engine%20builder/index.html

and

http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/

You don't need to be spoon fed. There are stickies in every section of the forum which contain the major information like dimensions, weights, sizes, head and block differences, etc. I believe this "Nissan 6 cylinder" section has many of those, go look! You had to scroll through them just to post this bro.

Morning folks. I am new to Datsuns and need some tech advice. I plan on rebuilding a 2.4 engine this year. I have both a 240 and a 260 engine to choose parts from. I understand the 260 crank is a longer throw by 5.3 and the 240 piston rods are longer by 2.8. Can I use the 260 crank with the 240 pistons for higher compression and volume or will it interfere with the valves in the head? Should I use the 240 head or the 260?

I am a newbie at this so excuse me if these are obvious answers to you more experienced tinkerers out there.

Yes, the motor combo you mentioned is possible but it would be a turd of a motor, netting around 7.2:1 compression with the l26 head/l26 piston/l24 crank. But for me I would build (being in your shoes with the parts available) a l26 with l24 pistons, l26 connecting rods, and the l26 crank with an e31/early e88 head. Reason for the l26 is well there is no replacement for displacement in terms of making power right?

Check out the search function man, I was totally new to the L24/6/8 6 months ago and after a lot of reading (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104420 was a huge help in head choice) I learned a significant amount of info w/o having to ask anyone. People just get sick of these questions and there is always a debate, so people make threads with a plethora of information so that way it does not have to be typed again. No one is trying to be mean I promise, so take the search answer in stride because if it is a question that has been asked (just like this one) there is already 1 or more threads with more than enough information for you to make an educated decision yourself.

Sorry for being a butt to you. My very first post was a dumb one asking the differences between the l28 and l28et blocks... It was sent to the shed and that was lesson learned.

Anyways, even without looking in the stickies, those two links should provide some basic information. If you choose the L28 crank it will tell you the stroke of it, same for the diameter of several different pistons, etc. They're good tools to figure deck height, compression ratios, and other engine measurements that need calculating but you need to go ahead and check everything once you get your parts in. For my build, I wasn't too focused on the deck height sort of thing but more on compression ratios, however if I were you I would still do a "pre-build". Basically assemble everything and make sure all is well, then disassemble and check everything over, then do your final build. I found a few minor mistakes in my pre-build!

Good luck.