HybridZ

RB20DET owners

Beau M

My take on the RB20 is that it is a easily and CHEAPLY available option as compared to the SR20 or even the L28eT.

The SR20 doesnt make the torque of an inline 6. I have never driven an SR20 powered Z, but I have driven SR powered 240sx's and 510's. I love the Torque the inline 6 offers over the 4 cylinders. I also like the way the car handles with the RB in the front. Though Im sure the SR does really well in corners when in a Z.

As for the L28et. The RB20 is a little more spendy to purchase, but if done correctly your ahead of the game in making power. The RB series engines even the RB20 have a superior design as was the natural evolution of the L series into the RB series engine. Your can make the same amount of power out of the L6, but your going to have to know how to push the limits and redesigning the L series to fit your needs... not to mention parts are getting hard to find.

20vs 25&26:

I own a 25. I prefer the 25 over the 26 simply because of initial costs and amount of fabrication involved in the installation of the swap. As far as 20vs25... I can get the 20's all day long. I LOVE the RB25. It has given me my fair share of problems, but I had little to no help with the install and I am not an engineer. The 20 isnt much easier of an install. If I had to do it again I would still do the 25, but I am very interested in doing a 20.

You can find RB20's easier than any other RB series engine out there... at least if you are stateside. The SR series engine is also pretty available but is usually double the cost of the RB20 initially... not to mention fab costs of some of the SR installs on this site.

But these were the things I weighed before I started out and built my 260z. Everyones opinion will differ slightly.

L28's are VERY easy to come by where I'm from. I plan on putting in a RB20 just to keep it inline six, but more modern. I know that the 25/26 make more power, but in the end, I want my car to still be a 240z (which came with a 2.4L) so the RB20 with the 26 crank and some other goodies will keep it somewhat original displacement...that is how I see it. If I had a 260z...well, I would probably end up selling a kidney to buy the RB26

L28's are VERY easy to come by where I'm from. I plan on putting in a RB20 just to keep it inline six, but more modern. I know that the 25/26 make more power, but in the end, I want my car to still be a 240z (which came with a 2.4L) so the RB20 with the 26 crank and some other goodies will keep it somewhat original displacement...that is how I see it. If I had a 260z...well, I would probably end up selling a kidney to buy the RB26

That's actually why I wanted to do an RB28DE with the stock RB26 ITB's and whatnot... bu then I realized that to get to 2.8 litres, I'd need a stroker kit, or I could get an RB30.

seeing as the 280 is originally an N/A 2.8, I decided I wanted to keep it that way, but then the RB30 just made more sense considering the horsepower that would be easier to attain than a 2.6 litre or an expensive 2.8 litre.

Now I'm forced to fix my VG, so I'm putting a bit of money in there for now.

but the idea was the same... wanted to make it an atmo-2.8.

IIRC the SR20 makes better tourqe than the RB20. Even if it didn't, SR's are a lot lighter, and aftermarket parts in the states are way easier/cheaper to get for them. People don't even waist much time on them over here when they are already in the car. Go RB25/26, or don't bother with an RB unless you are just stuck on the idea of having an RB for as cheap as possible.

Just my $.02

I love my RB20.....it hasnt been that expensive to build and no matter what people say there are a lot of parts available. It no toss at all between the RB and L......the RB wins hands down. Saying that...spemd a few extra bucks and throw in a RB25.

WTF...you decide on a ford 302? How did you go from straight six dilema to a Ford 302 decision?

My thinking was similar with different justififcation. I settled on the RB20 because the 432Z had a 2 liter and was a high revving kick ass car.

When I first thought of getting a Z I hit the forums and found HBZ. I started lusting after a V8 Z. After months of reading and changing my mind every other week, I thought I knew I wanted an L28et or a RB20. For all the reasons above. Then I talked with my wife, she told me to get what I want, not whats easiest. I want V8 power. I want the feel of my old mustang that I dearly miss. I also found a good deal for a 302 on CL... Now that the engine is in the garage, I feel like a great weight has lifted. No more guessing and researching 100 different options. I have a path to follow, even though I will travel it slowly. There are pics of it in my members projects thread.