HybridZ

Window Tinting

RPMS

As y'all can probably figure, summers here in Texas are Hell on earth, especially with a car that's BLACK (like mine now is! icon_biggrin.gif) I've tinted my own windows in the past and was pleased with the result, but that was ten years ago. What products are available to the consumer to do this job today? I'm looking for a dark neutral grey tint that won't turn purple over the years. All the glass is out of the car right now, so the job will be just that much easier.

Thanks,

Guest Anonymous

I am from Canada and use to tint windows for awhile.(Yes we do see the sun up here as well)

If you tinted your windows 10yrs ago alot I think has changed you'll find.

"Sun gaurd" was the product we used in the shop but the owner was a penny pincher so there may be other window films that are better just check the web.

I tinted my family car (not a Z)1 yr ago and they are purpling and I think that is just they way tint ages.

But one of the cooler product I have seen is a static cling tint that can be removed and reused over and over ;usefull for long drives on the highway(what tint on the side glass officer?)or parking at a show.

What ever you use clean the glass like it has never been cleaned before and use LOTS of soap solution and on curved glass use heat to shrink to tint before applying(the supplyer should help with the technique here)

I had the widows tinted on my rx-7 and when I asked about a no-purple warrenty I was told that it was caused by using a soap soulition to apply the tint and if you use just plain water it will not happen mine was done 3 years ago to a VERY deep black with no signs of color change and it has spent every day outside summer and winter hope this helps Keith

We had many car windows tinted at the dealership. Guys charge about $150 to do 4 windows. If you want to do this yourself, get a UV reducing tint that is available now--and make sure it has some kind of a warranty against bluing!! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of today's available tint. Sorry I can't supply you with brand names right now. You could call a few tinting guys and ask them what brands they use. Have fun! BTW, the new tints with a slightly mirrored finish look outstanding... icon_smile.gif Of course, on a black car, almost anything looks good.

Davy

Every tint job I've done myself, a bunch of them, has purpled over the years. I have also always used soap. I'd point out that the level of quality in the tint that's sold for consumer use has never thrilled me either. This IS a job where a pro should probably be used, for th ebetter materials if nothing else. The tint on my RX7 is awesome and shows NO sign of purpling either, I'm pretty impressed.

Guest Anonymous

I've kinda wondered about tinted windows (not for my car, I don't want them on the Z), but don't objects that are black or darker tend to absorb more heat energy (making the car hotter?)? Not being a wise guy, just trying to understand... icon_confused.gif

Regards,

Lone

The glass itself does indeed get pretty hot. However the items inside don't heat up as much so the inside of the car isn't so bad. I've considered tint for my Z but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get to the quarter windows with the cage in place icon_rolleyes.gif

Try this when you've got a chance - open a tinted door and put your hand in the sunlight then close the door such that the sun has to go through the tinted glass. I think you'll find that your hand feels a bit cooler. I'd actually expect tint to be pretty big in Texs, 'Vegas, and I know it's REAL big in Florida. Anyplace where th esun roasts things I'd expect to find tint all over.

Guest Anonymous

Probably right, I've been in tinted cars that didn't seem any hotter. *shrug*. Its pretty big out here to on the side and back windows, but the state won't allow it on the driver windows. To many cops got smoked when the window came down with a gun behind it. Personally I don't care for real dark tint, it makes seeing out just to difficult for my old worn out eyes... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Ps: Oh yeah, congrats on getting the car working, thats awesome.

Guest Locutus

In texas on the front windows(meaning driver door and passenger) it must be no more than 35%. On any other window it can be darker. I know that by going darker on back windows it gives the impression of having darker front windows. Living in Texas most of my life I can attest to how hot the inside of a car gets. Test have shown it to reach over 190 degrees in some cars in august. On average it is around 150-160 inside a car. Tint can reduce that by 30 degrees or more especially if using a sunshade. I recomend it for anyone wanting to save thier upolstry.

Mike

Purpling caused by the soap solution? I've never heard that one before. Might be true! The tint on my BMW is almost five years old, and it's still as black as the day it came back from the shop. Heck, if they'll do the job on my loose glass for a hundred bucks, I might just take it to a professional. The tint film alone would probably cost me fifty or sixty dollars.

Maybe there are some jobs that are best left to a warranteed professional.

• 6 years later...

purple coloring is caused by cleaning the windows with regular windex with amonia and a cheap film. windex with vinigar is the only product i will clean my tint with. Global Tint is one of the best companies for window films that will not fade and has a life time warrenty. DO NOT USE ANYTHING TO CLEAN WITH AMONIA!!! Soapy solution will not cause the tint to fade, when you apply the tint and squeegy it out all of the water and soap comes out ( the tint is non obsordive*),

As y'all can probably figure, summers here in Texas are Hell on earth, especially with a car that's BLACK (like mine now is! icon_biggrin.gif) I've tinted my own windows in the past and was pleased with the result, but that was ten years ago. What products are available to the consumer to do this job today? I'm looking for a dark neutral grey tint that won't turn purple over the years. All the glass is out of the car right now, so the job will be just that much easier.

Thanks,

llumar makes a great film that won't turn purple.

3M tint is the only tint I will have on my vehicles. I don't think you can buy it over the counter though. I have my glass and tint guy do all my vehicles. The 3M tint has a lifetime warranty, and the tint on my truck is 20% and looks the same as the day it was tinted 6 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...
purple coloring is caused by cleaning the windows with regular windex with amonia and a cheap film. windex with vinigar is the only product i will clean my tint with. Global Tint is one of the best companies for window films that will not fade and has a life time warrenty. DO NOT USE ANYTHING TO CLEAN WITH AMONIA!!! Soapy solution will not cause the tint to fade, when you apply the tint and squeegy it out all of the water and soap comes out ( the tint is non obsordive*),

Anybody noticed that this thread is over 7 yrs old?

• 5 weeks later...

Bluing and bubbling are almost a thing of the past, nowadays. New chemicals, treatments and process's almost eliminate those worries.

Hell, they even have a new machine that has a buttload of cars programmed into it so the tinter just tupes in the vehicle type, required tint % (5,15, 20, 35, 50) and it laser cuts the tint to an exact fit and the tinter just adds it to the car like usual, saving a butt load of time and wasted tint.

Just had mine done a few months ago. but the dipped quarter windows and rear hatch were a pain in the ass. And he's done many S30's.

He uses LLumar metallized films .

Here's a link to his site. Go to the gallory and scroll all the way down. I was one of the first cars on his site. And the picture reflects the new hood before paint. I went with 20% but don't tell the cops... Shhhhhhhh.

http://xtremetintanddetail.com/default.aspx

9409_thumb.attach

DSC04558 (Large)_thumb.JPG