• l24 as-is
    • l24 rebuilt
    • l28et as-is (fresh turbo)
    • l28et rebuilt (fresh turbo)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. fifteen, maybe even ten years ago, the consensus would have been to stick it out with the SUs. Alot of people would have opted to swap SUs and the standard hybrid electronic dizzy setup into a 280ZX to get rid of "all that EFI garbage" in your situation.

One option that hasn't been mentioned: drop in the L28ET longblock, with the SUs on it, and bring your turbo hardware. Sell the L24 to whomever gets the extra three trannies. You could even do a head swap (bringing along the P90 in the back, of course) if you wanted to keep the cam/compression of the E88 for the purposes of cross country NA SU goodness.

Then again. if you don't know your SUs and you DO know your EFI, it IS a different world than it once was... but it seems like asking for a boatload of risk.

Go to wal mart or harbor ffreight or some other store and buy a 10-15 dollar 12V tire inflator pump, and a tire plug kit. Screw Fix A Flat (unless ALL ELSE FAILS, it isnt a horrible emergency supply, i just hate to actually use it) A couple of small LED or spotlights, possibly with magnetic bases.. the automotive aisle sort of junk at wal mart.. A light like that can be verrrry useful. You could also buy a booster pack with a light, inflator, etc all built in.

All these are very good advice for going cross country. I would suggest you swap in some 2+2 seats, just for the reclineability factor, incase you in up needing to sleep in the Z. that and definitely weld those floors. those rear mounts will tear loose the instant you hit anything, and your 90 lb copilot could be an ex copilot very easilly. So yeah have the shop weld em up.

it's obvious you're going with the L28. So I would also suggest putting in the 2nd fuel filter before the injector array. that'll insure you won't clog your injectors. you can also use a clear tube inline too to make sure where you're getting fuel. though, make sure it's strong enough to handle injector pressure. The Z31 ECU swap works awesome. though it's another possible thing to go wrong. Maybe drop your fuel tank and at least clean it out, and replace the seal.

Keeping a list of competent Z people/clubs along the way will help you out more than anything should something go wrong. AAA, they're good if for nothing more than the cheap/free towing. for the cost it's worth it, you can cancel it after the trip.

This along with everything else mentioned should get you going, assuming you finish your swap in time. oh and change your wiper blades, and fill the wiper fluid. You'll need nice new ones during the trip. Esp since it's locust season in ohio. not to mention you're bound to hit some weather along the way.

Good luck, I hope you'll get to test drive a few days prior to leaving.

Phar

Wow.. fifteen, maybe even ten years ago, the consensus would have been to stick it out with the SUs. Alot of people would have opted to swap SUs and the standard hybrid electronic dizzy setup into a 280ZX to get rid of "all that EFI garbage" in your situation.

One option that hasn't been mentioned: drop in the L28ET longblock, with the SUs on it, and bring your turbo hardware. Sell the L24 to whomever gets the extra three trannies. You could even do a head swap (bringing along the P90 in the back, of course) if you wanted to keep the cam/compression of the E88 for the purposes of cross country NA SU goodness.

Then again. if you don't know your SUs and you DO know your EFI, it IS a different world than it once was... but it seems like asking for a boatload of risk.

Go to wal mart or harbor ffreight or some other store and buy a 10-15 dollar 12V tire inflator pump, and a tire plug kit. Screw Fix A Flat (unless ALL ELSE FAILS, it isnt a horrible emergency supply, i just hate to actually use it) A couple of small LED or spotlights, possibly with magnetic bases.. the automotive aisle sort of junk at wal mart.. A light like that can be verrrry useful. You could also buy a booster pack with a light, inflator, etc all built in.

You know, that's actually an option right now. I know EFI in general (I came from the Honda world, so I know PGMFI rather well, but this MAF crap doesn't look fun at all). I know carbs in a kinda-sorta way. I can figure them out, but have far less experience troubleshooting them. Especially SU's, which are a little non-standard, and even moreso when there's a pair of them. Either way, I'm running with a boatload of risk, but I've considered riding back with the turbo, wastegate, and bov in a box and just running the carbs for the drive. However, I'm pretty sure my mileage would be less impressive if I did that.

I'm not entirely sure, but one of the guys on Ratsun got me thinking about these 4spds. One in particular has me wondering if it's a 5spd and not just a piddly 4. The shift linkage has a bit of play in it though, so I'm having a tough time determining whether or not that's another gear I'm going into after the reverse gate or not. I think it is. Does anybody know of a definite way to tell? Should I just crack it open, or is that a can of worms I don't want to mess with? Does the casting code do any good to help identify it?

2009-07-06%2019.53.27.jpg

Well if you're thinking of running the turbo engine with just the carbs, you can do that, but it's kinda going to be a dog, because of the lower compression. It could be a last resort idea.

Other than that, you could buy a large POD, and put your car and stuff in there, fly out and have PODs deliver it to you. not sure how well it would travel, you'd need to secure it with chains in the pod.

I have no idea how to ID the trannies w/o shifting them. are there no Z club/junkyards around with a 5 sp in them?

I tore it down (no 5th gear present), and don't know of anywhere that has a 5spd lying around. I think the pick 'n pull has a 280zx with a 5spd, but I really really really really really dislike pick 'n pull. I have no problem purchasing one, but I'd rather the money go to a hbz'er rather than that cutthroat, hateful company.

Well being that you're short on time it might be worth dealing with the jerks at your pick n pull. the guys at mine don't know squat. I can go put MAF's off the newer nissans, they sell them for $15 bucks, as a sensor, and I can sell them for $60 on Ebay. It works to support my Z habit.

What do you think they'd want for a tranny? You might take the flywheel and clutch too, if you think it'd be any better than the one you've got. you might also grab the driveshaft, if you think it's any different than your S30 shaft, but it's probably the same. I think they're all interchangeable before 83'. A 5 speed will save you a lot on gas on your trip. not to mention it's more comfortable and a stronger tranny than the nissan 4sp.

Are there any local Z clubs? someone there might have a tranny.

Phar

The last time I went there looking for a tranny, it was "transmission special" week, with 10% off all transmissions. Manual transmissions are listed at $99, which I confirmed as I walked in. We went and pulled the tranny, and they rang me up for $320. WTF?

I'll find a 5spd, but PNP is an absolute last-ditch effort. If ALL ELSE fails, they'll get consideration. I don't think there are any Z 'clubs' up here, just a bunch of disorganized people from hybridz who occasionally have bbq's together (our next is Aug 8th, and I want to be able to leave the meet and start across the country from there... Aug 1st is when I want to be ready, driveable, and have some kind of shakedown completed successfully).

Here's a few things I would bring.

Spare distributor or at least cap/rotor and internals

Spare Coil and a few extra wires

Universal radiator hose- flex type

Various size hose clamps

Short sections of various fuel and vacuum hose

Timing light

An old beach towel to laydown on while working on the ground

Empty Gallon size container to carry gas, coolant, etc

I would make sure your water pump, fuel pump, and charging system are all in excellent condition

My dad and I drive our 49 plymouth to shows and you'd think we were planning a road side engine swap with all the stuff we carry. But we'd rather overplan than under estimate

Good luck on your trip

Last night, I decided it was a good idea to rebuild the wastegate and blow-off valve I received off eBay after hearing some horror stories about their construction quality. Other than a somewhat flakey-looking BOV gasket (which is an easy replacement in the future), they both looked solid and went back together nicely:

Wastegate construction:

2009-07-09%2017.22.10.jpg

BOV construction:

2009-07-09%2018.22.50.jpg

Engine goes in tomorrow. I could use a wiring diagram for the two white clips that attach to the body harness from the engine wiring harness. Anybody know where those wires go?

I could use a wiring diagram for the two white clips that attach to the body harness from the engine wiring harness. Anybody know where those wires go?

shoot me a PM on Ratsun with pics of em and might be able to help

Lots of great tips in this thread. I tried to make a similar run last August from LA to Detroit after having made Detroit to LA in an old Cherokee, as I bought a Celica in San Francisco. I made it to LA, drove around LA for a two days, and the day before I was leaving LA to head home, this happened...

2815566106_c428f218a7.jpg

Of course, it happened after I spent a considerable amount of time/money/effort making sure it was capable of the trip back to Detroit. $4000 down the toilet for 5 glorious days of the car I'd wanted for so long.

So be careful, I wish you much luck.

I love the TA22! You still have it, I hope?

I've spent a fair amount of time/money getting this roadworthy, and am looking at another two weeks here before the final shakedown then the long trip. The new motor's in there, and the suspension is all bolted and tightened. I still need to go through the brake system still, and get my new tires mounted up. I also need to pick up one of the 5speeds that I've found (I swear, they're seasonal out here). I'm about to call a guy back right now, wish me luck!

I love the TA22! You still have it, I hope?

Nope. I had no option but to forfeit it to the impound lot and it was bought by someone else for $300 who parted it out.

I wish every single day that I had it. Or at least another 1st gen Celica. :(

I'm just saying- Be careful, and expect the unexpected. I hope you make your trip in one piece- and you probably will. This was the exception, not the rule, let it be a lesson though. :lol:

I'll get my Celica again someday, somehow.