HybridZ

Rear wheel tracking

skipjobe

I don't know if this is the proper term. My 74Z is wearing the drivers side rear tire on the inside, I have looked at it on the lift but I don't see any way to adjust the camber. When I put a level on the rear wheels it looks like both rear wheels are 3/4 inch wider at the bottom than the top. Could the springs be getting weak or is there something I should look for. The passenger side shows normal wear.

I am having the same thing on my '76 Z. I have lowering springs from MSA and replaced all the stock rear control arm bushings with urethane about 8 years ago.

The camber on the drivers side is about -.35 degrees , but on the passenger side (drive wheel) it is about -1.5 degrees.

The strut tower top mounts were replaced as well with used 240 mounts.

I wonder how I could rectify this...

Thanks, but I don't think I'll be taking this advice any time soon.

It's probably just the bushings on that side which seem to wear faster so they probably need to be replaced.

I could get myself into alot of trouble if I start altering original sheet metal and proceeding without a concrete plan.

Lord knows it would not be the first time.

Thanks...

Yes i had the same problem for a while. I got hit in my rear wheel and it bent the rear suspention, causing the toe to go off. My tire started wearing out on the inside. i took it to get an alinment and found out the toe was off. Changed the whole suspention( a-arm, strut tube etc.) on that side and the problem was gone.

What i'm saying is you might have a bent suspention from hitting a curb in the past or getting hit.

I would seriously look at springs too. they dont have a heavy spring in them to begin with and with age like all of us we get weaker he he. If I am correct the factory springs are rated at only 100 lbs eibachs are progressive and go from 85 open to 300 within 4 inches if the springs are weak it will affect toe

I had the same issue. All the rear mounting hardware for the suspension was worn or seized (or close to it) and was failing to allow the suspension to travel. Combine that with some tired rear shocks and it'll chew through tires fairly quickly.

Some new shocks, bushing and hardware througout the rear end components and it's been much, much better the last couple thousand miles.