HybridZ

Looking at new bumpers...ideas?

Rustyfriend

I have a '77 280z 2+2 and I am considering getting different bumpers to save me some weight. Here is a picture to show you guys what I am working with:

576617466_QvPsM-L.jpg

I am going to go with 240z/ early 260z bumpers but I don't know what type to go with.

-Fiberglass bumpers---> paint...but what color?

-Carbon Fiber bumpers

-Completely clean chrome bumpers

So please, voice your opinions and thanks!

There are some chrome shops that can chrome fiberglass !!!I have a 77 and I removed the EPA bumpers - I am trying decide if I will 1. Buy fiberglass 240 bumpers 2. Paint same color as car 3. Have the fiberglass bumpers chromed.

If you can get them, and got the $$$ ready...'70-'72 clean chrome is best. Fiberglass in satin black would be second choice. Either way, you will lose about 80 pounds, and it can be felt in the steering response. The "Biotch" is that darned spot welded lip over the rear bumper. That is going to need to be ground off and the tail resprayed.

BTW I love that color. The pearl effect is awesome. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Shave the rear if you can swing it with the paint and everything. I'm not running a rear bumper and I think it looks the best without anything in the back.

The early 260 Bumper brackets will bolt right up to the 280 and you can put a 240/early 260 bumper on the front. AZBUM also makes special brackets that allows you to install the 240 bumper on the car with little modification.

As for the rear, I am going to try to snug the 240z bumper right under the lip. I did a little "measuring" with my fingers at the show and it seems they stick out the same distance from the rear of the car.

And so I guess I am on the lookout for some 240z or early 260z bumpers. I already have a 240z front that needs some buffing and it has the holes. Ok? Or should I keep looking?

As for the rear, I am going to try to snug the 240z bumper right under the lip. I did a little "measuring" with my fingers at the show and it seems they stick out the same distance from the rear of the car.

And so I guess I am on the lookout for some 240z or early 260z bumpers. I already have a 240z front that needs some buffing and it has the holes. Ok? Or should I keep looking?

240 Bumper brackets are totally different than the early 260 brackets.

The 260 brackets are shorter than the 280 brackets but bolt to the stock holes.

So bottom line is I should look for 260z brackets?

I think JSM has some, you might try PM'ing him.

I don't think the AZBUM brackets are expensive, but I just happened upon an early 260 at the junkyard and I wanted to share the info. I am also not sure if the 240 bumper bar hooks up to the brackets, it might be different. If they are, you could check Victoria British/Black Dragon, they might have those pieces.

I'd have the bumper bar on my car but it is dented :/

Honestly, a few pieces of steel bar stock about 1-1/2 wide and 3/16" thick, a vice, hammer, drill, and you can put the bumpers exactly where you want. I started with original 71 front and rear brackets, I flattened them out and "re-fabbed" them to work on my 280.

If you can get them, and got the $$$ ready...'70-'72 clean chrome is best. Fiberglass in satin black would be second choice. Either way, you will lose about 80 pounds, and it can be felt in the steering response. The "Biotch" is that darned spot welded lip over the rear bumper. That is going to need to be ground off and the tail resprayed.

BTW I love that color. The pearl effect is awesome. The photo doesn't do it justice.

I agree with this bumper choice if you have some cash and can find them. Making brackets if you need to shouldn't be too difficult at all.

Also, not to hijack the thread, but I agree with Dave's comment about your paint as well. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Z painted, how much, what paint did they use, etc. PM me and let me know. It looks flat out awesome!

Not big on 2+2 but that is one beautiful Z.

One bumper option Im really big on is a set of 240 bumps with the rubber removed. Full chrome. Also without the lateral bars. Its a really clean look. Ill see if I can find a pic.

I want to do this to my bumps one day, but my rubber is so new I cant bring myself to do it.

Also, Ive got a spare 240 rear if you're interested. No (undamaged) front unfortunately.