HybridZ

So I was attempting to swap Z32 brakes to my Z31...

I pulled everything apart, only to find out that the hubs wouldnt fit inside the hub hole on the z32 rotors. My Z31 is an 87 Turbo, Ive read online that 87-89 would go right on? Anyone else have this trouble? I've also read elsewhere that 88 hubs were different than 87 ones?

The only thing I can think of that I didn't try would be reinstall the hubs sans the rotors, and then put the rotors on over the hubs, but that would require longer wheel studs i believe...

If anyone has an answer that will save me pulling the hubs off of a bunch of wrecked cars, lemme know. I cant be taking the car apart, and putting it back together, the lift I use costs me money, and time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit:

Found these pictures trying to find my answer, and my hubs don't look like this:

Z31-1612.JPG

Is that what the 88+ hubs look like? If so, that's my problem...

This is from my 88 Turbo.

img0909jv6.jpg

img1188v.jpg

What do your hubs look like?

You mean the rotor hat's inner diameter is too small for your hub diameter? Are you sure you have the correct rotor?

I figured it out. Apparently when the front end of the car was rebuilt (accident from previous owner), they used earlier turbo hubs, that look like this:

400px-Brakes_z31_hub_84-86.jpg

Ill be going to the junkyard this weekend to acquire the correct hubs. Thanks for your help guys, wish I had known this yesterday before I pulled it all apart, lol.

Ill post pics when the conversion is done, probably next week.

I'm running z32 calipers with z32 brakes on my 88 hubs. I have them spaced 0.15" from the strut mounting knuckle, the calipers slide over the rotors like butter.

What'd you do for a spacer? I got a 3mm spacer that im going to grind down a little and use to space the rotor from the hub a little. If it doesnt work, I'll just pay attention to my brake pad fade ;)

The washers that came with the bolts that were on the z32 brakes when I bought them were damn near the required size of 0.17" so I figured close is good enough, I can deal with .02" of uneven pad wear. Any spacer is better than no spacer though.

z32 rotors/calipers will work just fine without spacers as well, it will just wear the pads unevenly.

i tried running my z32 rotors with the z32 from a 92 NA and the rotor didnt have enough back space on my 88T endend up getting some new 88t rotors which eventually solved the problem.

That's weird, did you take any pics of the misalignments?

no, this was about a year ago before i sold it, if i remember right the rotor needed something like 1/2 and inch more back spacing to be correct and that was a little more then i wanted to space that caliper out with washers. if someone can measure the height of the brake hat and then measure one from a 92 N/A the only difference is the hat, everything else is the same.