HybridZ

Is it worth it?

Hi guys.

I've been lurking around here for a while and this is my first post.

I found a car that I'm interested in, but concerned that the asking price is a little too high. Wondering if you could help me out?

It's a '73 with a '71 head, has headers, triple 45mm dcoe carbs, sway bars front and rear and 16" ugly wheels with humongous Goodyear tires. It also has a front spoiler and a large whale tail.

The body is pretty straight and doesn't look like ithas been abused. The paint is pretty poor, but it doesn't have any rust. It looks like it has been fairly decently cared for, but all the bodywork was done by a 'friend' and needs to be done again. he wants $6k for the car as it sits and the stock 4speed and su carb set.

My purpose for this car is purely a toy car that will see a fair bit of track time. I don't know if I will race this car wheel to wheel, but want to be able to do track days and such. I raced a 240 a while back in ITS (not my car) and also spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of different 240z. I really like the look and feel of the car and want to build one of my own this time.

Is 6K a good deal for this car?

dk

Hi guys.

I've been lurking around here for a while and this is my first post.

I found a car that I'm interested in, but concerned that the asking price is a little too high. Wondering if you could help me out?

It's a '73 with a '71 head, has headers, triple 45mm dcoe carbs, sway bars front and rear and 16" ugly wheels with humongous Goodyear tires. It also has a front spoiler and a large whale tail.

The body is pretty straight and doesn't look like ithas been abused. The paint is pretty poor, but it doesn't have any rust. It looks like it has been fairly decently cared for, but all the bodywork was done by a 'friend' and needs to be done again. he wants $6k for the car as it sits and the stock 4speed and su carb set

My purpose for this car is purely a toy car that will see a fair bit of track time. I don't know if I will race this car wheel to wheel, but want to be able to do track days and such. I raced a 240 a while back in ITS (not my car) and also spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of different 240z. I really like the look and feel of the car and want to build one of my own this time.

Is 6K a good deal for this car?

dk

Sounds like it's rust free, has triple 45mm carbs, has some little negligible things done to it, and needs paint and body work, correct? If so, no, NOT worth 6k, IMO. Divide that number by 3 or 4, and I think that's a more fair price.

Sounds like it's rust free, has triple 45mm carbs, has some little negligible things done to it, and needs paint and body work, correct? If so, no, NOT worth 6k, IMO. Divide that number by 3 or 4, and I think that's a more fair price.

Ok cool. That gives me a better idea, although I dont think I can get the car for 2k lol....

Gives me a direction to go though.

Ok cool. That gives me a better idea, although I dont think I can get the car for 2k lol....

Gives me a direction to go though.

FWIW, and to be more specific, my 280Z had a lightly built motor (cam, unilite distributor, clutch and flywheel, port and polish, headers, flat top pistons, and some other things) with triple Weber 40 DCOE carbs, came with some spare parts, and a few general upgrades around the car. It has rust, but not a ton, but had almost no body work, just some bondo work in the passenger floor, which I've long since gotten rid of. It was $2500. Doesn't sounds like that one has any other engine mods, but is also rust free, which is sort of a trade off. However, I think I overpaid a little bit for mine. Hope that helps you a little more...

A rust free 240Z, and a Rust Free 280Z are TWO ENTIRELY different pricing structures, with a 3 to 4X differentiation between them.

Any 73 is worth probably 2X what a similarly conditioned 260 is worth, and 3 to 4X that of a similarly conditioned 280Z.

Market realities are shifting, and the 'good old days' of $500 240Z's are rapidly evaporating. People who have them, know what they have.

Similarly 40 DCOES are worth about half what a similarly conditioned set of 45's are worth.

You are comparing apples and oranges in using a 280Z with 40's as a comparison against a 240Z with 45's...bodywork notwithstanding.

A rust free 240Z, and a Rust Free 280Z are TWO ENTIRELY different pricing structures, with a 3 to 4X differentiation between them.

Any 73 is worth probably 2X what a similarly conditioned 260 is worth, and 3 to 4X that of a similarly conditioned 280Z.

Market realities are shifting, and the 'good old days' of $500 240Z's are rapidly evaporating. People who have them, know what they have.

Similarly 40 DCOES are worth about half what a similarly conditioned set of 45's are worth.

You are comparing apples and oranges in using a 280Z with 40's as a comparison against a 240Z with 45's...bodywork notwithstanding.

If the car is going to be used mainly on track and not restoration then I dont see why comparisons cant be made.

But FWIW you are dead right on the historical values.