HybridZ

Which should i go with?

motoman

I'm going to by a z and put a Rb25det into it or a vq35de. If i did do the vq i was planing later on down the road twin turboing it thats if i go with the vq. I would like to know which one can i get more hp out of for less money. I know the twin trubo kit for the vq is high and all. But i belieave you can get more power out of the stock vq then the Rb(Correct me if i'm wrong). So i would like to get your guys thoughts on which one i should go with.

This is really a matter of personal preference, and an entire ton of information can be found on both through various searches here, and I'm sure there are members on this board that will fight to the death for each motor with very good arguments for both. That said... There is no "better" engine and you really haven't said a specific horsepower goal and really both engines are probably going to give up the ghost much above 500 horsepower. What will be the difference is the power under the curve. a 3.5L motor will spool the same sized turbo(s) faster and provide more torque under the curve and a broader power band. Also another consideration to take into account is that a VQ is at least an option in most of the cars on the road in America from Nissan. This means that you'll get parts in a day or two, and not in weeks, So when one of those connecting rods decides that that it wants a vacation in one of those exotic places like outside the block., the VQ will get parts faster. HOWEVER, the RB is a smaller motor and if you work on it right you can rev the crap out of one, and the RB has been around for a while now, so as far as tuning goes, there are plenty of people out there that know how to make this motor make substantial numbers with relative ease. They say the VQ has a higher HP potential, but really it's going to be a few years still until this is truly confirmed since tuners and big companies have just recently been sinking their hands and cash into the platform, so the next while is going to pretty interesting to see what this motor cooks up.