HybridZ

Has anybody had a 30A rebuilt yet?

Gregmatic

I know they get tossed in used all the time but has anybody had one rebuilt? Costs associated? Results when installed? Any tip/tricks/advice? I've searched and found self-rebuilds but I'm not going that route, neither the time nor tools nor the patience to pull it off. I've also found rebuild kits from various mfgr's, any one better than the other? Pardon me if I sound clueless, rebuilding trannies ain't exactly my specialty.

And if you did and have a good shop in the northeast to recommned then don't be shy.

The last rebuilder I asked to do the 30A for me said they would pull it apart for free, inspect it, and clean it for almost nothing, and replace and repair any "soft seals" for 500 bucks. I said "what about synchros, bearings, pins/springs/balls, and forks?" and he said "We'll inspect that but it will be a lot more... possibly more than double".

Not sure if he knew much about this particular trans but the do it yourself kit seemed like a steal at that point...

All in canadian prices @ AAMCO transmissions.

I didn't go through with it. It bites 2nd gear. I've learned to live with it and shift carefully.