HybridZ

Understanding Gearing

johnc

fantastic example of mechanical advantage!

"So what we're saying is dropping this into a Morris Minor will only slightly diminish the acceleration."

This is the most accurate sentence ever to grace the interwebz.

It's not delivering lots of power to the concrete. It's just multiplying the torque.

Horsepower is torque over time. I tried to calculate the horsepower from the figures on the article and I ran out of decimal places on my calculator.

They were thinking of dozens of things that hadn't yet been invented, and trying to put those things together into something else that hadn't been invented yet. I challenge you to do the same, and check 50 years from now how correct you were... let us know the results. ;)

FYI... the picture above of the "home computer" is a hoax. Its a photoshop of a nuclear submarine helm mockup, a RCA TV from around 1960, a Burroughs Telex console, and some old guy in a polyester suit.

The power at the motor is the same as the power at the concrete block (minus losses) so at every gear reduction, torque is increased by a factor of 12, but speed is reduced by a factor of 12, so the power stays the same.

Problem is with the number of gear reductions taking place, the losses are asymptotically approaching 100%.

Also, the gears need to be able to handle the amount of torque that they are transmitting - that trans is bound to shatter the gears long before it does anything terribly interesting.