HybridZ

Windshield and chassis structure

On the newer vehicles the windshield is an important part of the unibody and therefore held in with structural strength epoxy, right?

Well, if you use that same epoxy for the windshield on the Z during a build couldn't it be a good way to strengthen and stiffen a chassis without adding any extra weight? Of course this would probably have to take a new windshield since the 35 year old windshield it has wasn't designed for that kind of stress.

When it comes down to my car, I am completely done with school in December and my friend just got an old F100 so when I get back home I'm just gonna have my friend tow my car back to my parent's house where I'll start ripping it apart and start the many different modifications I've been planning out so adding this (if feasible) to the list wouldn't be that big of a deal. I failed to get it running so I can now start doing everything I want...granted I can find a job.

I think most of the windshields that are used in this way are essentially flat and loaded in sheer. The Z windshield is very bowed, and I can't see it doing much good, and would anticipate cracking the windshield. I seem to remember several people cracking the windshield with the rubber gasket in there...

As has been said, its been designed to take a rubber gasket so fitting could be a problem without that gasket. The idea behind glueing the windscreen in is good but if you are chasing body stiffness then there are other non experimental ways to do that.

On the newer vehicles the windshield is an important part of the unibody and therefore held in with structural strength epoxy, right?

Well, if you use that same epoxy for the windshield on the Z during a build couldn't it be a good way to strengthen and stiffen a chassis without adding any extra weight? Of course this would probably have to take a new windshield since the 35 year old windshield it has wasn't designed for that kind of stress.

thats interesting im going to have to see what im going to do with one of my cars since it no longer even has a windsheild and i have no idea how much they cost... and since im cheap i might end up getting a cheap Plexiglass windsheild with the wiper coating so it wont scratch the plastic.