HybridZ

Sr20det (GTi-R) RWD conversion

Devil_Z

First of all a BiG HELLO to everyone.

I'm doing a project on one of my cars. I'm getting a GTi-R as the donor car. The donor car used to be an ex HKS demo car.

I apologise if this is in the wrong section.

I needed some advise on the block..... the car I'm doing the project on is going to be a rear wheel drive. I wanted to run a 200sx (S14 or S13) gearbox with the GTi-R block. If there are other gearboxes you guys mite advise would be much appreciated .

Depending on how much work is need, if it's within budget, I believe it would be worth it. The block I'm picking up used to run around 500bhp easily,

it also has a 2.2 stroker kit, with forged Internals.

Has anyone done this here before or knows of someone who has. I would appreciate the feedback.

Hi mate, welcome to the forum!!

As for forum section, maybe 4-cylinder? I don't think it really maters, not that far out. As for the motor, that sounds INSANE!!!

This is an sr20 yeah? believe thats what the gti-r's ran, or atleast a common upgrade, not too up to clue with the things, even tho i love the idea of them!!

As an HKS demo car i fully believe 500hp!! There is no doubt it will be a monster. I assume you want to put this into a zed??? (you're thread title and post is kinda vague...) Might need to put a few more details up about the engine and the car getting the upgrades. Plenty of powerful sr20 engined cars on this forum so you won't have any trouble getting help :)

As for the gearbox, the s13 and s14 are identical, however there are plenty of stories of people with less power doing real damage to them. I am led to believe these things are good for about 400hp. Depending on how hard you drive then they can take more, but if you're doing an ex-HKS engine swap then i wouldn't bugger around with the gearbox and i'd go straight for an RB25DET TURBO box. Reputed to hold near enough 1000hp, it wont break.

They take some serious work to fit (They are MASSIVE) into a Zed, but as far as onto and SR20 is concerned it simply requires an adapter plate. I don't know where to get them but i know they are readily available and go for around $300.

Get some updates up and let us know how it goes!!

I love the GTi-R motor and if you put it in a Z, it'd make for a killer little car. Solid lifters, ITB'S factory, bigger bearings, stronger block, it's a great little motor. Though wouldn't you have to run COP since the dizzy pops out the back of one of the cams? The 54C head flows pretty well too, IIRC. There's quite a few people around here that have the Sr swap before and a wealth of knowledge here. Just search around and you should find anything you need.

Bob

That would probably require tube chassis conversion of the front end I'd bet. That also means you might as well design some custom suspension setup using some more common and available parts, along with a custom steering setup.

Not impossible, and such has been done before, several times actually. It's just a dang do da lot of work.

There's been lots of discussion about AWD Z cars on these boards. Still not enough done with enough documentation and information to really figure out how beneficial it is, and at what point to things become more of a show piece instead of a race piece.

If it were me (which it's not) I'd convert to the Z32 trans. It fits well enough in the S30 chassis and has proven extremely reliably with even the insane numbers some of the twin turbo guys are pushing out, and in heavier cars at that.