HybridZ

Fuel cell question

Owen

I've decided to switch to a fuel cell but can only afford the Summit brand and I definitely need one with a sender.

Tim240Z showed me some pix of his, which I like. But after seeing Mark Wicard's picture of the same tank which collapsed on itself, I'm having second thoughts.

There is an aluminum cell, also Summit brand, for a little more. I'm naturally thinking I should go with this one. Any comments or ideas on another source?

Thanks,

owen

Owen,

My Dad has been using a 'plastic' cell on his racing car for years without any problems. I don't know what brand it is, and I know that it's foam filled without a sender. I spoke to him before I bought mine to make sure that I wouldn't have any problems, and he has never, in his 35 years of racing, seen anyone have a problem. Obviously, seeing those pictures myself, problems exist, but I think that they are uncommon.

The temp fluctuations are quite wide back in South Africa...in the spring/autumn/winter it goes from around freezing in the morning to 70s-80s in the afternoon, and in the summer it gets above 100. With these environmental factors, if something was prone to go wrong, I'm sure it would have.

Tim

I'm not sure if he vented it or not. I just saw the pix in one of his links to the pix he posted online, I've heard of the suction doing that too, but never really saw a picture before.

The aluminum Summit unit is only a little bit more but I'm worried about the quality.

Owen

The unit that Summit sells under ther own brand is made by Triangle Enginering these are also sold by Chris Alston of Chassisworks. They are avery good unit My chassis builder has had one in his pro-streeter for about nine years now and still looks great and is working fine. He is currantly puting the 22 gal unit in my 240z. Keith

Guest Anonymous

Hey Guys'

Cell was vented directlty to atmosphere as directions specified. It was just crap. Go with the aluminum unit, it is not that much more. Mark

WHOA!!! I HAVe one of the "Triangle" AKA Summit brand tanks - bought it from Chris Alston's shop when no one else had them. Summit told me they had gone out of business...

Anyway, my tank has suffered TWO leaks. Neither of these were on a seam icon_confused.gif These both occured on the flat bottom of the tank with no external damage visible(huh?!). It was like the gas ate through and my first clue was gas weeping through the clear anodizing. My tank is also "oil canning" with the top filler distended upwards a bit. Still usable mind you but the leaks really bother me. I've repaired them both with gas tank repair epoxy and all is well - the dark spots on my tank in pics is the repair.

My tank HAS had two welds done on it to mount it but there were nowhere near the leaks and the shop doing the work knew what they were doing. I have NO reason to believe that this caused the leaks.

IMO the way to go is the cell that MikeKelly is using. Rubber bladder, foam I think, and a steel "safe" around the cell itself. It's also bigger than the 10gallon Triangle cell I used. Downside is a top draw for the fuel pump and vent. (shrug)

Actually...never mind...I just rechecked Summit and their aluminum 15 gallon cell with sender is $199 20x18x10. If I'm concerned about weight, I just won't fill it up all the way! But then the fuel will slosh...but I'm gonna go with this one.

Owen

Heh, I went with the cell I did because I knew it would fit - saw it in Mike's car icon_biggrin.gif I wish it were bigger because my car sux gas like a hog at the trough right now. No doubt tuning will improve that but a bigger tank would certainly extend the range a good bit. Had known I was going single 3inch out the driver's side I'd certainly have gone bigger but I thought I was going duals. Oh well, live and learn...