HybridZ

Alternator is in place and charging

blueovalz

Interior of the car, through the trans tunnel, hooked to the driveshaft icon_smile.gif Heh, any chance you could put a smaller pulley on it Terry? Maybe get the charging speed down perhaps... How much noise is that making in the passenger compartment? It's in there where you can hear it, right?

I think Terry better fess up! There will be a convoy of HybridZ heading to his house by morning. Oh I figured it out there is a shaft that goes up the tunnel and then with another pully and belt ends at a set of bike pedals for the passenger.

Dave

I think Terry better fess up! There will be a convoy of HybridZ's heading to his house by morning. Oh I figured it out there is a shaft that goes up the tunnel and then with another pully and belt ends at a set of bike pedals for the passenger.

Dave

This is used ALOT on racing cars, for weight distribution reasons and less drag on the engine. The major drawback, as far as I'm concerned, is when and if you get stuck in traffic (SoCal perspective). The alternator won't be charging, and if you have an electric fan running and fuel injection and lights etc (which if you're in traffic, the fan will probably be running) the battery will go flat pretty quickly, unless of course lay into it and smoke the tires icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif . I think maybe a better (unfortunately more expensive) solution would be to get the water pump alternator (alternator housed in the pulley of the waterpump with a single wire coming out the back). That makes for a nice neat assembly, but is about $500., which isn't that bad, I suppose, since you're getting a high quality aluminum H2O pump and high quality alternator in one unit. icon_rolleyes.gif

Tim

Here's the link for the waterpump/alternator setup

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Tim240Z ]

What I used was a Ford power steering pump, that was ever so slightly modified to fit between the driveshaft and the diff (actually the adapter plate to the diff). The electricals will run for 40 minutes (fans, fuel pump, ign) on just the battery alone. With the alternator, tests around town are very positive on keeping the battery up on charge. The pulley ratio is 3:1, but I have a 5:1 set-up if I need more speed. Here is a look at the other side http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1541023&a=13789583&p=55308064. The noise is much less noticable than that hog Holley fuel pump, and yes, a cover will be going over this to keep clothes and fingers out.

Terry

Ahhh, I finally can visualize what Tim has been talking to me about for the past 2 months icon_smile.gif Except I thought the thing would be mounted under the car, great work Terry!

And if the batt can keep things going for 40 mins at a standstill, this is looking better and better!

Owen