HybridZ

JCI Driveshaft Issue

Bought a driveshaft from Johns Cars a while back when I built my car. I noticed right off the bat that the U joint had some play. I now daily drive the car and the vibration I get from that sounds dangerous and is now starting to drive me nuts..

It is the U-joint by the transmission yoke, I am pretty sure it is the side of the U joint that connects to the tranny yoke. It is like the U joint is not big enough, and it has about 1mm of side to side play.

Any way to determine if the wrong U joint was used, or if the yoke is the wrong one? My rear tranny seal also does not seal and the tranny is from a 2004 GTO.. The yoke also slid on the splined shaft very easily.. :weird:

Im beginning to think that I received the wrong transmission yoke? Any suggestions would definitely help! Thanks~!

I'd call up John @ JCI, he's pretty helpful. See what's going on. How many miles have you put on the swap since you finished it?

I called him once, a long time ago, but he wanted me to send the driveshaft in I believe, and if I remember right he said something about him not dealing with assembling them..

This is all just what i remember from like over a year ago lol.. I never got around to sending it back in and just threw it in the car.. right now i drive with it every day, but with a leaking tranny and some unneeded vibes, id like to get it fixed.

Im sure I have put around 5K miles on the car so far.

It might just be easier to have a good shaft shop replace it with a better one than paying to ship it back and you'l get is back faster. They used the stock Z28 yoke when thet built my shaft.

I called him once, a long time ago, but he wanted me to send the driveshaft in I believe, and if I remember right he said something about him not dealing with assembling them..

This is all just what i remember from like over a year ago lol.. I never got around to sending it back in and just threw it in the car.. right now i drive with it every day, but with a leaking tranny and some unneeded vibes, id like to get it fixed.

Im sure I have put around 5K miles on the car so far.

Figured I would ask this here instead of starting another about same driveshaft..

Have any of you had any issues with putting the driveshaft in while trans mount was tightened down? looks like on mine 71 240z the little change cubby on the top of the trans tunnel indents down far enough to hit the u joint preventing it to be angled enough to slide in.. I dont think the 260 or 280 have this?

so looks like ill need to loosen the trans mount and lower it down to get it in there..

p.s. what size bolts are the driveshaft to diff bolts? ?

ls1_driveshaft1.jpg

ls1_driveshaft2.jpg

ls1_driveshaft3.jpg

So, here's the pic of the yoke for you, as well as the driveshaft diameter (2"?) for my other post. Hope this helps. I can't test it out in the transmission right now because the engine is sitting up against the wall, and I can't move it right now.

mine looks identical to that. has the 1 slot there that doesnt have a spline on the bottom in that pic. couldnt see that opposite notch on the trans splines.

my yoke just taps the indent from above causing it not to slide in as noted in the other posts.. I just got motivated to finally start wrenching. doing the fuel deal now as well